Parameters

brichard925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea blue bucket and I am reading 360 calcium and 1140 magnesium via salifert testing kits. I have no corals and just a clownfish in the 25gallon tank but wondering if I will need to dose when I add corals. I am 2.5 months in and going to add lps and softies. Should I dose when I start adding corals or leave it be?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing would be helpful if you find once you add corals the calcium and magnesium gets used up fast, but really weekly water changes should be enough, because the salt has calcium and magnesium in it. That's what has worked for me...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea blue bucket and I am reading 360 calcium and 1140 magnesium via salifert testing kits. I have no corals and just a clownfish in the 25gallon tank but wondering if I will need to dose when I add corals. I am 2.5 months in and going to add lps and softies. Should I dose when I start adding corals or leave it be?

On a 25 gallon tank, no dosing will be required at first, as water changes not only remove nutrients, but also replenish elements consumed by coral.

When you add corals, be sure to do faithful 20% water changes on a weekly basis. I'd bet it will be some time before the amount corals consume surpasses whatever you put back in with a water change. When that happens, then you should consider dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back