Parasite?

Babyboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had him for about 2-3 months. Never could get him to eat frozen. Eats live and ghost shrimp but never a lot. He keeps getting smaller and this morning has color in caved in stomach area. This morning I found him acting weird. Curling his tail up and rolling around. Laying down on sand bed. But then next moment swimming around and dancing.

IMG_3968.JPG

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had him for about 2-3 months. Never could get him to eat frozen. Eats live and ghost shrimp but never a lot. He keeps getting smaller and this morning has color in caved in stomach area. This morning I found him acting weird. Curling his tail up and rolling around. Laying down on sand bed. But then next moment swimming around and dancing.

IMG_3968.JPG
I am sorry babyboo. Most likely your seahorse was wild caught and the prognosis for wild caught seahorses is poor. They need to go through a de-worming protocol but many do not even survive that. I personally would never buy a seahorse that is not captive bred.

OP
OP
B

Babyboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry babyboo. Most likely your seahorse was wild caught and the prognosis for wild caught seahorses is poor. They need to go through a de-worming protocol but many do not even survive that. I personally would never buy a seahorse that is not captive bred.

They said he was raised by a breeder close by. I have others and have no problem with them eating frozen. I won't buy from them anymore. Should I start treating him with
Metronidazole??

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seahorse was from a local breeder but was put in the same system as the lfs 's fish, it is possible that it picked up a pathogen from wild caught fish. You could but maybe a fresh water dip for 10 minutes might be better. If the seahorse thrashes around a lot then it most likely does have ich. I believe I would move it to a hospital tank (with clean salt water) and also treat with furan 2. Use 1 packet for 10 gallons and do a 50% water change each day and add a new packet each day. Treat a minimum of 12-14 days even if the seahorse shows marked improvement sooner to prevent resistance to the antibiotic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back