Parent fail, I raised a bully. Not magnificent foxface.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a magnificent foxface 5 years ago. It was about 4”. It’s now about 8-9”. I’ve been a proud parent until recently.... clearly I’ve failed as a parent! And it’s possibly time to disown my child.

300g tank with tons of hiding space for fish. I feed heavy.

for the last 5 years it’s lived with a Darwin clown, royal gramma, sleeper banded goby and a yellow & purple wrasse. The yellow purple wrasses died last year and was about 5-7yrs old. The foxface never bothered anyone. The occasional chase of the gramma but no visible damage to any fish ever.

a couple months ago I noticed the sleeper banded goby had some tail fin damage. I assume it was the foxface. The tail healed and no damage since.

A month ago I added some baby azure damselsand a few other fish. The foxface attacked one of the damsels the second it went in the tank and killed it. He hasn’t attacked any of the others.

a couple weeks ago I noticed the gramma had tail fin damage and assume it was the foxface.

The pintail wrasse had fin damage in the bag on arrival and looked in rough shape. For the last month I assumed it was just recovering from being pre QT at the vendor. Today I noticed more fin damage and watched closely. The foxface gave the pintail a Mike Tyson punch to the side. I immediately setup a HT with live rock etc and moved the pintail. The foxface hit it real hard and the pintail is in rough shape. I don’t think it will survive.

So, is my foxface a lost cause? In the last few months it’s killed one fish, likely two, and attacked two of its long time tank mates.

we’ve had him for 5 years but are willing to rehome him to a more aggressive tank. I’m going to move him to the sump for now.

I’m planning to add about 10-20 more fish over the next year or so and don’t want him to kill anymore.

I assume he’s won’t rehabilitate and will continue to bully??

#parentfail
#wanttoadoptmykid?

Last edited:
OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the pintail is alive this morning. I took a quick peak under the blanket covering the hospital tank and it’s sleeping under a rock like normal with normal respiration rate. Hope he looks ok when he wakes up!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back