Part-time skimming?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! After the posts in the last couple days about whether to use a skimmer or not, Ive been thinking of only running mine for a portion of the day. So I wanted to get some opinions about what you guys think the best time to use the skimmer is!

I was thinking of running mine on the same schedule as my light, so no skimmy at night. Is skimming more effective during the day vs at night?

Mine is working too well, I need to keep some nitrates in my system!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! After the posts in the last couple days about whether to use a skimmer or not, Ive been thinking of only running mine for a portion of the day. So I wanted to get some opinions about what you guys think the best time to use the skimmer is!

I was thinking of running mine on the same schedule as my light, so no skimmy at night. Is skimming more effective during the day vs at night?

Mine is working too well, I need to keep some nitrates in my system!
I would never just turn it off. If anything let it drain back into the sump rather than collecting

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the skimmate drying in the neck, making it harder to clean off during maintenance. Dumping the skimmate works just gotta figure out how much to dose. You can also add things like coral food or phytoplankton to boost your levels

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the skimmate drying in the neck, making it harder to clean off during maintenance. Dumping the skimmate works just gotta figure out how much to dose. You can also add things like coral food or phytoplankton to boost your levels
Another good point! That's why I'm here,
What’s your set up like. Are you done adding fish? Is slowing down the tank turnover an option? to slow down the cleaning a bit.
It's a fluval flex 15 gallon. Fish load is actually an issue that I need to address. I had a pair of clowns and a chromis but the clowns both went rug surfing. I think you've hit on one of the big issues that I hadn't thought of yet. Oh darn, time to go fish shopping lol

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your set up like. Are you done adding fish? Is slowing down the tank turnover an option? to slow down the cleaning a bit.
As far as turnover goes, I'm still using the stock return pump that's only around 160gph I believe. I've held off on water changes for a few weeks trying to get my nitrates up. I'm trying to avoid the dreaded dinos

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as turnover goes, I'm still using the stock return pump that's only around 160gph I believe. I've held off on water changes for a few weeks trying to get my nitrates up. I'm trying to avoid the dreaded dinos
It’s always fun to go shopping for fish, I hope this balances things out for you. Come back if it doesn’t and well find a fix that works for you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back