Past precipitation causing problems now. What to do?

painter1982

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
1,281
Reaction score
1,080
Location
82716
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around beginning of January I was having low ph issues after I transferred over to my new Mariner M130. I decided I’d dose soda ash for my alkalinity. That caused precipitation and I noticed it on my heaters and the substrate got a hard crust. I broke some up a few weeks ago and had an alkalinity spike. I wasn’t sure if I caused the spike at first. I broke some up yesterday and noticed the alkalinity climbing again. How do I take care of the hardened substrate safely? It’s an sps tank. My normal parameters are:
Alk 9.0 to 9.2
Cal 440 to 455
Mag 1400 area.
Ph 8.25 to 8.4
Phos .06
Nitrate 10
Salinity 35ppt
first stir of gravel caused Alk to 10.5 and calcium to 470
Now alk up to 9.4 today from stirring yesterday. Any suggestions?
 
Breaking up precipitated calcium carbonate doesn’t cause an alkalinity spike. It cannot dissolve in normal seawater.

But fine solid particles in the water will give a false high reading for alk as the particles will dissolve in an alk test.
 
Breaking up precipitated calcium carbonate doesn’t cause an alkalinity spike. It cannot dissolve in normal seawater.

But fine solid particles in the water will give a false high reading for alk as the particles will dissolve in an alk test.
That’s good to know. I had noticed both times I broke it up that I had alkalinity rise when normally it stays 9 to 9.2 area. Thank you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new