• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a few weeks away from cycling my tank and I am getting conflicting information on which way to cycle it. Either adding fritz turbo start and dr. Tim’s along with a fish or two. or adding a frozen shrimp and ghost feeding for a few weeks. With my daughter getting ready to head back to her moms until Christmas I can tell you the way id like to do it. I’d like for her to enjoy the tank for a bit until she leaves

Suggestions?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tims while dosing ammonia chloride (Available at Dr. Tims) is my go to, Test frequently and dose accordingly and you should be good to go in a few weeks for maybe a fish or two, obviously the longer you wait the better.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a few weeks away from the tank being ready, put the rock in a brute, tub, bucket, or whatever and start the cycle now (like today!) with bottle bacteria. Then move it into the tank when you’re set up and poof! Presto tank-o.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a few weeks away from cycling my tank and I am getting conflicting information on which way to cycle it. Either adding fritz turbo start and dr. Tim’s along with a fish or two. or adding a frozen shrimp and ghost feeding for a few weeks. With my daughter getting ready to head back to her moms until Christmas I can tell you the way id like to do it. I’d like for her to enjoy the tank for a bit until she leaves

Suggestions?

Good day,

I'm old school. Setup tank, dose with 10% Ammonia and wait four weeks. I understand you wanting to have something ready as quickly as possible, so your best bet is Fritz Turbo Start, some live sand, add two Clowns, rock, and monitor your Ammonia with an Ammonia badge, have SW (Salt Water) ready to do water changes,

Cheers

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Older School and I don't believe in bottled anything. Well, maybe Beer or Grand Marnier.
I feel bottled bacteria and other quick start methods are silly.

I go by what the ocean did. I don't have trilobites or stegosaurus but I would use a dead anything. Shrimp, clam, Imu, it doesn't matter. The water will cloud, thats perfect. It may even stink a little, even better. When it clears, you have a thriving population of the correct types of bacteria.

You may have to change much of the water because of nitrate, thats fine. Then add some small fish and feed them well.

Good luck. Or add bottled bacteria, bottled ammonia and bottled fish. :p

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 120 I used 35lbs live rock from my 2 year old nano and 35lbs caribsea dry.
Added 2 bottles turbo start, because I had it.
Never monitored ammonia or nitrite.
One month in and I had no3-2 and po4-.68
Added small bag of phosgaurd and got po4 down to .06 in a few days.
Tank has been n03<2 po4 .02.04 since.

OP
OP
Johnny C

Johnny C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a few weeks away from the tank being ready, put the rock in a brute, tub, bucket, or whatever and start the cycle now (like today!) with bottle bacteria. Then move it into the tank when you’re set up and poof! Presto tank-o.
Learning lessons. I already glued my rock together.. now I understand why I was seeing this being done

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back