Paul's 90g "Cube"

pauldrapeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I've been lurking a while and started posting in the WWC tax time live sale thread. So while I wait for that to start again for today :) I figured it was time for a build log.

I've kept saltwater/reef tanks off and on for a while now. I've had nano tanks and a decent sized one in our last condo. Kind of took a break for a while but finished a new "Man Room" and decided it was time to hop in again.

Equipment list:
SCA 90G "Cube" (36x24x24)
DIY stand
Trigger Sapphire 34 sump
ATI 36" 6x Dimmable Sunpower T5
Kessil H80 fuge light
Maxspect Gyre powerheads (2x XF230)
Skimz SM167 DC Skimmer (started it with an older Vertex skimmer which promptly died)

Using Reef Chrystals salt and dosing BRS 2 part

J0Yil0u.jpg

I started this tank in November of 2017. One of the decisions I made early on was I was going to try this time with the TBS package. Part 2 went in 11/20/2018
NSKcXiP.jpg

byCYXZq.jpg

Overall the TBS package was great. I've never had a tank start up as quick. There was zero ammonia registered on by RedSea test kits and the tank is full of amazing life from day 1. As far as hitchhikers go they were definitely present :) Good ones include a TON of black spine urchins (I've given away at least 12), lots of porcelain crabs, a couple decorator crabs, various worms, sponges, clams etc and a tiger goby ("Lucky"). Bad ones would be gorilla crabs (a bunch), and I gave some rock to another reefer who reported an isopod (I have seen none in this tank). Best one was a mantis shrimp "Smashy"
gJQxDZj.jpg

"Smashy" now lives in a 10g in the basement with "Lucky" the goby. Very interesting animal. It eats LRS chunks and all the gorilla crabs I can catch :)

I have a clownfish that has been with me since the beginning (see avatar) My intention is to move everything into this 90G and stock it as a mixed reef. I was taking it really slow (in case of any fish diseases or really bad hitchhikers imported on the rock) for the first few months so far so good and I'm going with some coral frags now and shortly the fish.

All this WWC sale stuff will go into the frag tank for a little observation and then we're off to the races :)

FTS as it stands now in Feb 2018
PRXEGHG.jpg

OP
OP
pauldrapeau

pauldrapeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's this tank at the 6 month mark. So far so good... Taking it slow. Yes I know I need to scrape the glass :)

TBS rock was definitely a success. I would certainly do it again!

oI3kdSA.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back