Pavona Coral Dying?

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this coral for about two weeks. I've tried high light/flow and low light/flow for it. Seems like it's not very happy, already lost some bright color. The seller from BoomCorals told me that it can handle high light when there are a lot of nutrients available. My goal was to put it on a separate rock where it can have its own colony, which is pretty up high in my tank. Anyone knows how to care for this coral?

IMG_20200405_203030.jpg

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, i guess not a lot of people know about these corals

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps some tank parameters alk cal p04 nitrate ect and lighting would be a good way to get the ball rolling

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of the ORA mint pavona. Mine likes high flow, and high light. If my lights weren't off(its like 1 am lol)I would post you a pic.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps some tank parameters alk cal p04 nitrate ect and lighting would be a good way to get the ball rolling
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 7.8
phosphate 0
calcium 380
kh 9
Salinity 1.026
Temp 77F

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phytoplankton and amino acid regularly, all other corals are very happy.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 7.8
phosphate 0
calcium 380
kh 9
Salinity 1.026
Temp 77F
If nitrate and phosphates are truly 0, your starving your corals. Calcium is also a little low. Pavona is an SPS and require prisitine conditions to thrive.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of the ORA mint pavona. Mine likes high flow, and high light. If my lights weren't off(its like 1 am lol)I would post you a pic.
Yeah that's the problem. Pretty much all the sources that I've researched said that they prefer high light and high flow. But the seller told me that it can handle high only when there is a lot of nutrients available. And he said he kept his colony on a low light low flow area.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrate and phosphates are truly 0, your starving your corals. Calcium is also a little low. Pavona is an SPS and require prisitine conditions to thrive.
I'm using API test kit, I feel like it's not truly 0 but the color is close.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a bird's nest colony that got good growth so I don't think that's a problem.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Firefly Pavona is on a bottom rock structure and Ive had it for about a year, the second go round.
1st time it was growing off the frag plug but due to a problem I created, stn'd and passed... with the exception of a few polyps. I removed the plug and it has continued to encrust such that now about a year later it is about 3" diameter. Par levels at this rock is about 125

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Firefly Pavona is on a bottom rock structure and Ive had it for about a year, the second go round.
1st time it was growing off the frag plug but due to a problem I created, stn'd and passed... with the exception of a few polyps. I removed the plug and it has continued to encrust such that now about a year later it is about 3" diameter. Par levels at this rock is about 125
Seems like it should be fine with low light then. Does it grow on sand?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about on the sand as it's encrusting right now and it's actually growing towards less light
IMG_2186.jpg
I have a green pavona frag and it looks just like yours. Does it just spread across the rock and no growth vertically? I'm also trying to work out where to place it. Id like to place it on a large stone on the substrate but I believe they need med to high light

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back