Goniopora help?

ollzzz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling abit so any advice appreciated, had this goni for nearly a month now, polyps have never extended more then 1cm, when I brought it from a seller, they were 2-3” long in his tank,
Parameters posted. Daily dosing 1ml manganese (as his system ran it previously) and reef roids 1-2 times a week.
I’ve tried turning my lights down as I assumed maybe they’re hiding from the light. I’ve tried low and high flow, not much difference there,
I’m not seeing any tissue recession yet so not overly stretched. Most days all polys seem to be put but not stretched

any other tips?
IMG_7943.jpeg
IMG_7992.png

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are in the tank?

I seem to have the same problem with goniopora, and I have on rare occasions noticed fish nibbling at them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen it extended more than an inch, even at the store? I've had green short stem goni's and long stem goni's.

Your looks just fine to me, it might be a short stem, known as bernardpora coral.

OP
OP
ollzzz12

ollzzz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen it extended more than an inch, even at the store? I've had green short stem goni's and long stem goni's.

Your looks just fine to me, it might be a short stem, known as bernardpora coral.
Yeah when it was in the tank when I brought it from the guy, it was like 3 inches long

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in medium light and medium random flow. I don't feed or dose anything except for all for reef. The only thing I see for you is the nitrates are low, but your coral looks vibrant and healthy, I would say give it more time to adjust, put it where you want it and leave it alone, it doesn't like to be moved. (sorry for the poor iphone pic)

1711058878216.png

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when it was in the tank when I brought it from the guy, it was like 3 inches long
How was the flow in his tank? I ask because in many LFS tanks or when sellers are showing gonis they turn the flow way down so they extend to their fullest but as soon as you turn the flow on in your tank they don’t fully extend anymore. Have you tried turning your flow off for 20-30 minutes?

OP
OP
ollzzz12

ollzzz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was the flow in his tank? I ask because in many LFS tanks or when sellers are showing gonis they turn the flow way down so they extend to their fullest but as soon as you turn the flow on in your tank they don’t fully extend anymore. Have you tried turning your flow off for 20-30 minutes?
I haven’t tbf, I assume in the tank it was just the return pump but not 100% sure I’ll give it a try

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Struggling abit so any advice appreciated, had this goni for nearly a month now, polyps have never extended more then 1cm, when I brought it from a seller, they were 2-3” long in his tank,
Parameters posted. Daily dosing 1ml manganese (as his system ran it previously) and reef roids 1-2 times a week.
I’ve tried turning my lights down as I assumed maybe they’re hiding from the light. I’ve tried low and high flow, not much difference there,
I’m not seeing any tissue recession yet so not overly stretched. Most days all polys seem to be put but not stretched

any other tips?
IMG_7943.jpeg
IMG_7992.png
Im not sure of your concern but looks pretty good to me. A few things with goni is:
There are long and short stem versions
Give them medium flow to deliver food and keep sediment off of them.
Add OCCASIONAL manganese and Amino acids for tissue health
Feed them planktonic plankton such as reef chili and reef roids which can also raise phos, so keep an eye on Phosphates as they dont tolerate high levels well.

Here is One of mine:

1711059824770.png

OP
OP
ollzzz12

ollzzz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure of your concern but looks pretty good to me. A few things with goni is:
There are long and short stem versions
Give them medium flow to deliver food and keep sediment off of them.
Add OCCASIONAL manganese and Amino acids for tissue health
Feed them planktonic plankton such as reef chili and reef roids which can also raise phos, so keep an eye on Phosphates as they dont tolerate high levels well.

Here is One of mine:

1711059824770.png
Very helpful thanks. I believe it’s long stem as when it was in the guys tank, was very long and. Stretched, it was hosting a clown but has never extended in my tank. Thought it might be to much light but not sure. I’ll stick to the reef roids too

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very helpful thanks. I believe it’s long stem as when it was in the guys tank, was very long and. Stretched, it was hosting a clown but has never extended in my tank. Thought it might be to much light but not sure. I’ll stick to the reef roids too
Assure flow and light too aggressive. If you reduce light, do it in small increments.

Here is one of my long stemmed after feeding

1711060199862.png

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

any other tips?
IMG_7943.jpeg
IMG_7992.png
Gonis can take months to adjust. Your alk looks a tad high.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back