Paypal Fees

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going through corals that I have sold in which I was paid via paypal. I started to total the fees that came out of my pocket. WOW is all I have to say. When I sell corals I am going to have to charge the 2.9% + .30 for the transaction.

How does everyone else feel about the Paypal fees?

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is what it is...

it's a service. not too many services i know of are free...

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but paypal has made it unlawful to charge the buyer extra for the service fee. they made a big deal about it a year or so ago...

just build the fee into your asking price.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's the only thing that offers some security for both parties. Unless you have a credit card machine, which also charges a fee, Im sure a good amount of those transactions wouldn't have even happened as Im sure credit cards were used on a handfull of them.

It's the cost of doing business, which really isn't much. When you're selling propagated frags, it's all profit anyways, no need to get greedy over 3%...

Dubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's the only thing that offers some security for both parties. Unless you have a credit card machine, which also charges a fee, Im sure a good amount of those transactions wouldn't have even happened as Im sure credit cards were used on a handfull of them.

It's the cost of doing business, which really isn't much. When you're selling propagated frags, it's all profit anyways, no need to get greedy over 3%...

I agree. Even if it was a $500 dollar charge, 3% is like $15. Not really a big deal imo.

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people fight over the paypal fees all the time on another big forum....A lot of the people ask you to pay the fee...it is against paypal rules but if you are willing to pay it fine if not it is just something the seller has to deal with and maybe lose money in the process if you are not willing to eat the 3%....Like someone else said....cost of doing business.....JMO

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because its a cost of doing business, i personal will not buy from someone that states they want to charge the paypal fee. its not my fee so why am i paying for someone else cost of doing business.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does add up, but I would much rather have it available than not. Waiting for a check or money order would be a pain and with paypal you know if the buyer is serious or not. Also, credit cards charge fees to the merchant, so paypal really isnt making all of that 3% they are charging when somebody uses a credit card to make the purchase.

Last edited:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because its a cost of doing business, i personal will not buy from someone that states they want to charge the paypal fee. its not my fee so why am i paying for someone else cost of doing business.

+1.gif
As a buyer, I'm already being charged a fee by my credit card company (if I'm using a credit card) and by paypal; you asking me to pay the cost of your fee for using the service as well is not only unlawful, its rediculous (IMO). If you don't want to pay the fee for the service, accept a money order or a check. You as the seller are being provided a service, you're getting instant cash (or credit), and you're guaranteed that the buyer has the money and has paid. The fee is for you to pay for being provided the service, not for the buyer to pay so that you can use the service for free. JMO

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I dont buy from those making the buyer pay the paypal fee.

Prop'd corals are not 100% profit though. There are frag plugs glue and time. Supplements to get them to grow ect.. But If I sell something I understand there is a fee and take that into consideration when selling something. I buy quite a bit of stuff for the hobby and if someones states that I have to pay the paypal fee. I am sure I can move onto someone who doesnt charge the buyer for it.
Just my two cents.

OP
OP
MikeB

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you're all right. It just sinks in when you go look at the money you have given to them in fees. I need to not look at it and then I will not know. I have never charged fees when I sell corals. My rant is over , I am ok with it again ;)

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly. don't look! :bigthumb

for the same reason, i don't keep track of my reef hobby spending! :D

OP
OP
MikeB

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly. don't look! :bigthumb

for the same reason, i don't keep track of my reef hobby spending! :D

LOL, I don't either. If I did you wouyld probably see another thread started by me on here complaining about the money I am spending :tongue:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always priced things I'm selling including shipping and paypal fees (and kept them in mind when doing so), then the price is exactly what it is.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell my coral at a low enough price to where I always charge the buyer the paypal fee. They have the option to say no, but I have not had anyone that refused to pay it yet.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back