Pbt and ich

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pbt had ich and unfortunetly died last night. Was this because of the ick or neglect? Asking because when i tell my family, im going to be fully responsible, everyones blaming me, and that they should sell the aqarium because its just to much for me. I was planning on putting him in a quarantine and treating him with the copper stuff but i couldnt yesterday and today i wouldve but its to late. All water parameters are good, other fish and coral having great growth and no signs of ick. Any answers?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
There's a high probability that newly acquired fish will have multiple diseases and parasites. Was the PBT QT'ed prior to entering your display? Its good practice to QT anything wet going into your display. If there's other fish in your tank they will all need to be QT'd and treated. Your display will need to be fishless for 76 days to eradicate the Ich that's in there now.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have the PBT, when did you first notice ich, and have you ever had ich in your tank previously?

Ich can certainly be deadly if not treated in a timely fashion, but overnight would be highly unusual.

How did you arrive at your diagnosis? Other ailments can lead to a quicker death. If you did have any parasite, then the remaining fish in the tank are at risk. Treatment would be to move all the fish to a QT following the guidelines found in this

edit: you will also need to allow your tank to go fallow (fishless) for 6 to 8 weeks to allow any obligate parasites time to die out naturally.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pbt had ich and unfortunetly died last night. Was this because of the ick or neglect? Asking because when i tell my family, im going to be fully responsible, everyones blaming me, and that they should sell the aqarium because its just to much for me. I was planning on putting him in a quarantine and treating him with the copper stuff but i couldnt yesterday and today i wouldve but its to late. All water parameters are good, other fish and coral having great growth and no signs of ick. Any answers?
You're not going to like what I am saying, but ich doesn't kill overnight. I remember talking to you before about this issue, and this was probably about two weeks ago. Your other fish ich also, best case scenario you have ich your tank at this point. Maybe they are right and you're not ready for this responsibility. At this point, you have to go fallow and treat other fish with copper. And in this hobby, if you want to be successful and get people off your butt, you have to make time, even if it means doing a water change at 6 am or 11 pm especially when you are dealing with a crisis. There are many times when this hobby feels more like a job, but it's necessary for long-term success.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty…​

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a high probability that newly acquired fish will have multiple diseases and parasites. Was the PBT QT'ed prior to entering your display? Its good practice to QT anything wet going into your display. If there's other fish in your tank they will all need to be QT'd and treated. Your display will need to be fishless for 76 days to eradicate the Ich that's in there now.
Ive looked closely at the others, trigger, clown, and wrasse and see nothing but im going to get something set up really soon incase. And no he was not quarintined before. I just looked at him closely and the others he was with and saw nothing and assumed he was good. Obviously big mistake.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have the PBT, when did you first notice ich, and have you ever had ich in your tank previously?

Ich can certainly be deadly if not treated in a timely fashion, but overnight would be highly unusual.

How did you arrive at your diagnosis? Other ailments can lead to a quicker death. If you did have any parasite, then the remaining fish in the tank are at risk. Treatment would be to move all the fish to a QT following the guidelines found in this

edit: you will also need to allow your tank to go fallow (fishless) for 6 to 8 weeks to allow any obligate parasites time to die out naturally.
Around 2 weeks. When i got him he looked great and no ive never had ich previously. I first saw bumps and white spots on him and assumed it was ich. I cant drive anywhere to buy anything i could put him.in for quarantine and my family was all busy so i was a little stuck.
But ill probably set something up very soon.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to like what I am saying, but ich doesn't kill overnight. I remember talking to you before about this issue, and this was probably about two weeks ago. Your other fish ich also, best case scenario you have ich your tank at this point. Maybe they are right and you're not ready for this responsibility. At this point, you have to go fallow and treat other fish with copper. And in this hobby, if you want to be successful and get people off your butt, you have to make time, even if it means doing a water change at 6 am or 11 pm especially when you are dealing with a crisis. There are many times when this hobby feels more like a job, but it's necessary for long-term success.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty…​

Well thats strange. There are also no signs of ick on any other fish AT ALL. So im pretty lost as to what to think. And sure i may not be due to my time and not being able to buy things myself but i will indeed learn from that and stick to way hardier beginner fish for one. I also totally had a plan.i just couldnt execute.it because i cant drive to go and buy things. But with that in mind im just gonna stick to my current small stock for now.and try the fallow thing probably today or tmr. And i also do lots of maintenance at like 1am for example. There was a few times i forgot the clean filters, scrub rocks, change flow/moving coral around and whatnot but im just stupid so i cant really get things that i need to do across my head if that makes sense.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 2 weeks. When i got him he looked great and no ive never had ich previously. I first saw bumps and white spots on him and assumed it was ich. I cant drive anywhere to buy anything i could put him.in for quarantine and my family was all busy so i was a little stuck.
But ill probably set something up very soon.
So, when over the last few weeks did you notice the white spots? Has the PBT been eating well over the two weeks? Without photos or videos, it's difficult to accurately diagnose ich and to conclude it was the cause of death.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats strange. There are also no signs of ick on any other fish AT ALL. So im pretty lost as to what to think. And sure i may not be due to my time and not being able to buy things myself but i will indeed learn from that and stick to way hardier beginner fish for one. I also totally had a plan.i just couldnt execute.it because i cant drive to go and buy things. But with that in mind im just gonna stick to my current small stock for now.and try the fallow thing probably today or tmr. And i also do lots of maintenance at like 1am for example. There was a few times i forgot the clean filters, scrub rocks, change flow/moving coral around and whatnot but im just stupid so i cant really get things that i need to do across my head if that makes sense.
You made a great decision to come here and learn, but for whatever reason it didn't work out with the PBT. Glad to hear it. I understand that it's hard when you have to depend on your parents for rides and they are not into "another one of your things". I think it's a sound decision to slow down a bit and be more careful about your fish choices. I have a PBT, and I have zero problems with him, but to be honest, it's probably my last PBT. It's a beautiful and active fish, but it so unpredictable. As for the ich situation, at this point is not an emergency for now, but I think you should really consider treating your fish in a QT and letting your DT go fallow. You can always tell your parents that it's for the health benefit of the fish and the future success of the tank. They will probably groan a bit, but they will get it. I get away with it with my wife. You seem young if money is an issue you can always get things secondhand in this hobby. I bought my 220 custom-built acrylic with over 200 lbs of LR, lights, skimmer, stand, etc for $1300. Granted this was over 10 years ago, but you will be surprised. Btw, I sold the same tank with the sump for $100 because it needed to be rebuffed and needed a new stand, and I just wanted it gone. If you like DM me, I can get you a small 15-gal setup from Amazon for a QT next weekend.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a great decision to come here and learn, but for whatever reason it didn't work out with the PBT. Glad to hear it. I understand that it's hard when you have to depend on your parents for rides and they are not into "another one of your things". I think it's a sound decision to slow down a bit and be more careful about your fish choices. I have a PBT, and I have zero problems with him, but to be honest, it's probably my last PBT. It's a beautiful and active fish, but it so unpredictable. As for the ich situation, at this point is not an emergency for now, but I think you should really consider treating your fish in a QT and letting your DT go fallow. You can always tell your parents that it's for the health benefit of the fish and the future success of the tank. They will probably groan a bit, but they will get it. I get away with it with my wife. You seem young if money is an issue you can always get things secondhand in this hobby. I bought my 220 custom-built acrylic with over 200 lbs of LR, lights, skimmer, stand, etc for $1300. Granted this was over 10 years ago, but you will be surprised. Btw, I sold the same tank with the sump for $100 because it needed to be rebuffed and needed a new stand, and I just wanted it gone. If you like DM me, I can get you a small 15-gal setup from Amazon for a QT next weekend.
In fact really young. Wanted saltwater since around 6, was told atleast wait until 11. I was a little wiser at 11 and thought how about 13. Got the tank at 13 now still am only 14 but still learning a lot because i started learning many things very early on at around 9. 99% of the time i do maintainence i still dont know what im doing. Now anyway, money is decently a problem. Im young with kids money no job just a part time job for 60/month trying to invest. But ill figure it out. I dont think i will be needing to buy a qt i can just innovate by transforming my 37 gal. But thanks for the help, going with way more immune fish next time fs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back