Ich treatment question…

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
So I got a new Scopas and he came down with ich. I reached full dose of copper power in my tank on NOV 6. I added a diamond goby to the tank being treated on NOV 17, because the person I bought him from had him in a tank that had ich a while back, he had no signs though but put him in to be safe and cause it’s my only quarantine tank.
This morning one of the fish are dead. My question is, can the fish who were in there since full dose on NOV 6 go to my display now? Or should I count NOV 17 and the first day for everyone since I added the new fish that day? Also, I always forget, can I take them right from the quarantine into the display or do I need to slowly remove the copper and get them used to normal water again before moving them over?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the 30 days since last introduction - you don’t know whether or not the newer fish brought anything in or not.
Do you know why the one fish died? There could be a still existing disease issue that has not been dealt with.
I personally like to bring down copper levels before moving them into the dt, though I’m honestly not sure if there is specific protocol one way or the other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the 30 days since last introduction - you don’t know whether or not the newer fish brought anything in or not.
Do you know why the one fish died? There could be a still existing disease issue that has not been dealt with.
I personally like to bring down copper levels before moving them into the dt, though I’m honestly not sure if there is specific protocol one way or the other.
Ok thanks so much!
That tank is messed up - tons of cyano and so there’s probably a water quality issue. I’m scared to use my testing equipment because I don’t know what the copper will do. I added some marine quick start last night in hopes that might help the water quality issue, maybe he died from that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, from what I just researched, turns out carbon doesn’t remove copper power. I treated this tank with copper a few months ago, but thought I had removed it with carbon. If that’s the case… I may be at full therapeutic dose PLUS quite a lot of copper from my last quarantine… so maybe close to double the recommended copper can anyone tell me if the carbon did remove the first copper? I don’t have a tester.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon removes a bit of copper, but it isn’t great at it.
Have you done any water changes in between to bring down copper levels?
Overdosing copper can cause a problem, if it’s really high it can get deadly (like any medicine). Do you have a copper test kit to test the copper level?
Algae will grow from high nutrients, but none of those that cause algae growth will have a drastic effect on fish.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back