PE Mysis vs Hikari Mysis

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it really boils down to whether or not the fish will eat it. My last group of fish would eat hikari mysis, try sfbb mysis but wouldn’t touch pe mysis. My new blood orange clowns seem to take a liking to pe mysis so far but I haven’t seen anything they won’t eat yet, still have quite a few options in the freezer I haven’t tried yet.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE is like 60% protein where as hikari is only like 16. Although as A young reefer said above they are much bigger so if your fish are small they might not be able to eat it. It's too big for my new clowns so and my royal gramma can barely eat it so I'm holding off on feeding it for awhile

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE is like 60% protein where as hikari is only like 16. Although as A young reefer said above they are much bigger so if your fish are small they might not be able to eat it. It's too big for my new clowns so and my royal gramma can barely eat it so I'm holding off on feeding it for awhile

cut the cube in quarters when frozen. You’ll get loads of smaller bits.

The 60%/16% figures I tend to not trust. I can not see such a difference in protein from two similar products.

I remember a post from a manufacturer/supplier (I believe it was BRS about their Hikari frozen food) saying the way the tests for nutritional analysis are carried out can give misleading results, they had to reduce the protein percentage on one of their products even those the product hadn’t changed.
They basically stick a tool into a product and whatever it hits is what is recorded on the packet, whether that be 90% water or 90% product.
Pack the food more densely and suddenly the protein content you can display on the packet shoots up, when the actual protein content is unchanged.

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Canadian PE mysis shrimp comes in small grade now. I'm not sure when they started to offer the small grade but I'll have a good idea on its size tomorrow when they get delivered.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both. The PE Mysis are way bigger than the Hikari.
Yup you're right, Hikari is smaller then the small grade PE Mysis shrimp. Not alot bigger but noticable for sure. The fish were skeptical at first but after a bite they love it! Also don't need to feed as much now which is good.

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is more data on this but my LFS ran out of PE for a few months and though cheaper. I use twice as much to feed my fish. The PE were larger and more packed in. The hikari is 1/3-1/2 the size. But this makes me think there is more shell less nutrition. I will go back to PE when I can and maybe mix in some hikari for the little guys. I also add LRS which is quite pricey.

I will start to look into custom mixes given the 60 fish I now have to feed. Anyone have some good recipes?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something to note is that on the nutrition facts for PE mysis, they do dry weight and hikari does wet weight. If

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias couldnt handle the large pieces from PE and used to have digestive issues. Hikari is perfect for them and my other smaller fish. It also doesn't smell nearly as strong. Hated dealing with PE because I'd have to wash my hands 2-3 times with soap to get rid of the smell.
The smell and stank on the hands when I use PE is really bad. Also, the ReefMat stinks up real bad the week I feed PE.

I switched to Hikari when I feel like feeding Mysis now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back