Peaceful midswimmer suggestions for 120?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some suggestions for midswimmers.

I am going for a nano style where the fish are on the smaller side, and peaceful - which means I'm ruling out a lot of the angels and tangs that get really huge, because with the overflow box I really don't have as much room in my 120 as you'd think.

Right now I have:

1x two spot blenny
2x clownfish
1x mexican blenny
1x biota aiptasia filefish (may be traded in later if he starts coral nipping)
1x YWG
2x pearly jawfish
1x neon goby
1x firefish

And assorted inverts including a pistol shrimp.

On my list are Banggai cardinals - but I want a pair, so I've been holding off until I can figure that out.

What do you think?

Been holding off on Royal Gramma because I've heard they can be *****, same with dottybacks, and I'm worried about wrasses and such due to invert predation.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on a royal gramma as I had heard the same, but so far he's been an absolute model citizen for 6 months. Not a big midrange swimmer though. More sticks by rocks for me. Midas blennies at least in my tank have been top of tank swimmers. A fairy wrasse is likely to provide what you're looking for as well as something like a dispar anthias

Fairy wrasse are 0 threat to inverts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cardinal fish- Especially bangaii or pajama

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on a royal gramma as I had heard the same, but so far he's been an absolute model citizen for 6 months. Not a big midrange swimmer though. More sticks by rocks for me. Midas blennies at least in my tank have been top of tank swimmers. A fairy wrasse is likely to provide what you're looking for as well as something like a dispar anthias

Fairy wrasse are 0 threat to inverts.
I had 2 Midas blennies and both spend more time mid water although the do visit all levels, they just spend more time midwater. It may boil down to your reefscape as to where they spend most time..

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard Midas blennies will have beef with other similar body fish, though - is that not accurate?

I have some shy guys that are currently very happy (pearly jawfish and firefish)

I will look into Fairy Wrasse - thanks!!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard Midas blennies will have beef with other similar body fish, though - is that not accurate?

I have some shy guys that are currently very happy (pearly jawfish and firefish)

I will look into Fairy Wrasse - thanks!!
I've heard hit or miss online. It was one of the later additions to my tank and didn't bother a lawnmower blenny, watchman goby, clown goby, or cleaner goby (added after it). There does seem to be some individual risk, but most online horror stories seem to be in tanks that are too small to comfortably house one

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do your cardinals swim much? My pajama kinda stares at me all day in 1 spot looking at me like I just farted
Pajama is sort iof lazy until food is present but my bangaii is more active especially afternoon/evening

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My bangaii was also more active. Pajamas almost seem true nocturnal. When I come in at night I see them moving all around the tank in the dark
Theyre up all night

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fairy and Flasher wrasses don’t really pick on crustaceans.

I also know you’re aiming for a nano-like community, but also worth considering:
  • Genicanthus Angels. They’ll fill the tank with very active, graceful swimming. Watanabe angels are the smallest species, staying less than 6”.
  • Starckii Damsels. Add a nice pop of blue and yellow and tend not to typical a*****e damsels.
  • Possum Wrasse. Also safe with inverts/CUC though cryptic and could get lost in a 120.
  • Dwarf Angels. Size and temperament is ideal for your tank, though obvious considerations for absolutely reef safeness are in play.
  • Cleaner Wrasse. Only captive bred from Biota are worth considering, which puts them at a hefty price tag. But they are seriously some of the most engaging fish to watch and serve a meaningful purpose to your other fish (though it would help to have larger fish in your tank)

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
considered regals? They arent too big on tank size, and could be the centerpiece. They are finnicky so selection is important af

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang and its great for picking nuisance algae and detritus. I would not describe it as a mid tank swimmer but it gets around. Some of the fanged blennies are true mid swimmers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back