Peacock Mantis advice please

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i want an interesting creature for my refugium, it's 12" x 22", after considering all possibilities I came up with a smasher mantis shrimp. The only lfs here that is of any use on advice has a peacock mantis in one of their display sumps. After a conversation I had with them earlier in the week, they brought one in, it's apparently around 4" I haven't seen it.

So would that size space be ok for a peacock, or should I look to one of the smaller smashers. The lfs obviously said it was fine, any experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a smaller species, G smithii would be a much better option . A full grown peacock would go stir crazy imo. Don't know how your LFS are, but the ones near me label every mantis as a Peacock regardless- be sure you get a positive ID before purchase. Would hate to pay for a Peacock and bring home a G. chiragra.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a smaller species, G smithii would be a much better option . A full grown peacock would go stir crazy imo. Don't know how your LFS are, but the ones near me label every mantis as a Peacock regardless- be sure you get a positive ID before purchase. Would hate to pay for a Peacock and bring home a G. chiragra.

Solid advice here^^^

I wouldn't keep an O. scyllarus in anything less than a 40 gal. breeder. There are many others you could keep in that space though. N. wennerae is another great option. They are easy to acquire, have great personality and are hardy.

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the previous advice regarding peacocks. I kept a peacock mantis for a few years, raised him from 1"-6"~. There's multiple things to consider when keeping one of these, and I've done a bunch of researching on them. I even contacted Roy Caldwell back in the day for advice (a stomatopod guru).

1. More space, and a deep send bed with a bunch of rock. I'd give it at least 3inches. Can also add pvc tubing throughout the tank. I'd use tubing 1.5-2x the width of the mantis, and atleast 3x the length. ***Also, add a thick piece of acrylic to the bottom of the tank under the sand bed. This is for the mantis, when they burrow down they will keep striking the bottom.
2. NO BRIGHT LIGHTING. If the light is too bright, most stomatopods, especially peacocks, will stay in a shaded area or burrow. Additionally, the bright light can cause shell rot in older mantis'.
3. Cohabitation with fish seems to be on a personality basis..to be on the safe side I wouldn't pair a mantis with fish. The peacock I had for a few years never tried once to eat or harm the fish I had in with him. On the other hand, another peacock I had would kill everything in sight. The more aggressive one was the female. Sex of the mantis possibly has something to do with it.
4. If you plan on trying to tame a mantis or get them more familiar with you, (to the point where you're petting them on the back), I would highly suggest only doing it with very young, small mantis shrimps. Hand feeding them while they're small, you'll probably get hit, but at least it won't hurt. It's what I did with my mantis, and by the time the 1 year mark hit, he was crawling on my hand.

That's everything I can think of off the top of my head for now.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the PVC cave we used.

pvc-1.jpg

pvc2-1.jpg

pvc4.jpg

Peek a boo!

ciliata6.jpg

Light isn't the only thing that causes shell rot. One of mine died from it and they weren't under bright lights.

The mantis "adored" Christmas. We figure it was because of the lights on the Christmas tree. When we turned them on, he would rush out and stare at them. He did this year after year.

If you're just looking for a mantis, there's a lot of cool ones. If you really want a peacock, no other will do, IMO. A peacock is cooler than all the others and I've had a few over the years. They are gorgeous, interactive, and out and about a lot.... mantis perfection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I have read Roy's info; if I'm not mistaken he recommends smallest tank for a peacock at 25g; this space is about 24g. Renee's story may have changed my mind, I've heard similar stories of how aware they are with the outside world; I wouldn't want to keep such a curious creature in an aquarium stand. Had I planned this I would have planned an open stand or at least open at the refugium.

Mantis used to be much more popular 25 years ago and most kept them in very small tanks, not that that makes it ok. I rarely see them at an lfs today. Another lfs here had a G. viridis and what I believe was a L. mapia last week, they had them in the same tank and no one there knew anything about them or how to take care of them; yet they were ok to recommend them to me for my refugium.

I do like the G smithii, but haven't checked on availability. I'd rather stick to rock and rubble and no sand. Has anyone had a G. viridis, I'd be better to put someone in there that would be a bit more content be closed off in the stand(if there are any).

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept him busy with constantly changing his environment. Rock rubble, small corals, shells.....

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept him busy with constantly changing his environment. Rock rubble, small corals, shells.....

So you think it would be ok to have him closed off in the stand by introducing new things in his tank to keep him stimulated.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhhh..... now I see what your saying. The refugium is INside the stand. I think he would be better in the open. He really was different than all the other types I had. He would get so excited when I showed him a new play toy through the glass and would swim up to grab it.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I figured, I had this stand custom made. I wish I would have thought of it before I had it made. I'm tempted(but no cigar) to set up another tank. Would a G smithii or a G. viridis be more cryptic and happy to be INside the stand, or should I skip it for now.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely not as interactive and I don't think they would care less how often they could see someone. They don't hide either, which is good. I had Gonodactylus chiragra that I never saw.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into O. havanensis-- http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/ This little guy was just as active/interactive as any of my Peacocks but in a smaller package. He hid for about the first week but after that he was constantly out and about. I had him in a 65 loaded with LR. Downside to this was he'd climb the LR and go into the overflow. I fished him out the first couple of times. The third time I left him be and sure enough the next morning he was cruising around the display. Miss that little guy.

I wish I had seen him get of here--
07CDC3C5-1D14-4829-9AF9-5B994DB001E6_zpsf8xup1tr.jpg

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I made a good decision for my 1st mantis, and for this space. Gonodactylus viridis if I'm not mistaken, he's about 2" and so much nicer in person than any pictures I've seen. He's like a really dark emerald green with turquoise underneath and sparkling throughout with yellow and orange spots on his side and tail.

IMG_20161211_172519.jpg

IMG_20161211_173612.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back