Pearlberry

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't usually get very excited about SPS coral. But, the other day, I got a chance to photograph some corals owned by Joe Sagan in Streamwood, IL. One of the colonies he has is the Pearlberry acropora. This is the first I've seen this coral and it's a real eye catcher. Joe is growing this colony under T5s in a 40 breeder. Here are a couple of shots.
Gary

pearlberry01.jpg

pearlberry8stack02.jpg

Amici

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning as always Gary! Do you happen to know the specs on his setup and which bulbs he was running? I know its a slim chance but its worth a chance because hes doing something right!

pwoller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm missing something but why is there complete lack of color in between the branches? Maybe its my moniter????

Amici

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its how the coral looks. Google Pearlberry Acro and you can see some other pictures of it but none will likely look this good!

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pwoller, Thanks for the compliment. As Amici stated, what you're seeing is the normal color pattern for the coral.

Amici, Thanks for the compliments. I just happen to have his lamp combination because I had the same question. It's listed below. He has a simple setup: 40 breeder, sump, macro algae in the sump on a reverse cycle, DT's alk/Ca/Mg dosing, and he uses the Brightwell bacteria booster additive. I think it's called MicroBacter, but I'm not sure. I'll try to get him to join here (He's a member of that other site) and comment.
Gary

ATI Blue plus
ATI Blue plus
Geismann Actinic plus
ATI Blue plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue plus

Last edited:

juiceguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
is that the ORA Pearlberry? i never seen that color morph, that is a beautiful piece

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gary that is just wild brother. It can't get any better can it?

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that the ORA Pearlberry? i never seen that color morph, that is a beautiful piece

I don't know if it's the ORA variety or not. It is a beautiful piece. The color morph shown is what I saw. When correcting the white balance, I simply made the white part of the tissue white and let the color be what it is. It matched what I saw. I looked for other shots of the coral on the Internet, but all of the shots I found were standard blue shots or obviously doctored. When you approach his tank, it doesn't take long before your eyes lock in on the colony.

Gary

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev, Mike.

Mike, I've worked the white balance as many ways as I can and the color keeps coming up the way it's shown and the way I saw it, so I'm comfortable with the color accuracy.

Gary

ness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a Pearlberry that looked like that. Usually green/blue.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity. My ora pearlberry looks blue , this one looks reddish brown. Are they the same or is it a different morph?

Mine is smaller(2.5 inch high and 2 inch wide) in size though so I am not sure if the color changes as they grow bigger

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small .75 inch frag. It looks nothing like that though. Mine's mostly green. I'll be glad when it grows out to look anything like that one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back