Pearly Jawfish eggs

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No apology needed for changing the direction of this thread.... I love jawfish of all types! I strongly debated getting blue spots instead of the pearlies but when I checked the compatibility chart with seahorses, the BSJ was a huge "no no". The pearlies don't actively attack my ponies but at feeding time they are quite the aggressive pigs, so I imagine if I had gone with BSJ they might actually be nipping at the horses. But of course, next time I see a healthy one at my LFS I will be very tempted, although I'm thinking mixing the types of jawfish in a 72 gallon would not be wise.

I'm not seeing any eggs in my PJF this morning so they're either gone or he just "put them down" for a few minutes, which I've seen him do. And when I examined them last night they were pure white, and from the photos I've seen I suppose they should have been darker with eyeballs if they were close to hatching. I did contact the fry trap guy asking if he had any in stock - still waiting to hear back.
Sue
So are the eggs still there?

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the eggs disappeared, but today he is holding another mouthful of them. I have the Vossen fry trap but not sure when to turn the battery-operated light on because if I do it before bed, the battery won't last all night.

Do the fry normally get released at dawn? At dusk? Is it predictable? I remember when I was raising clownfish I had the sides of the tank blacked out but I don't remember why.
Sue

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I have the Vossen fry trap but not sure when to turn the battery-operated light on because if I do it before bed, the battery won't last all night.
That flimsy battery operated light is the greatest flaw of that trap. I need to build a light that can be plugged into an outlet so that the trap can be operated continuously.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. Just a gooseneck, clip on light would work! Just ordered one from Amazon.
Sue
Please share which one you are using and what your results are. I kind of plan to run my larvae trap continuously in some tanks where it is not easy to tell when larvae hatch.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So refresh my memory, please: will the jawfish release the fry at lights out or lights on? I know my seahorses do it as soon as I turn the lights on, but if I remember correctly, I think I blacked out my clownfish tank and then shone a light on it to attract the fry? Is it the same process with jawfish? I'm not sure how long I have - I believe he received the eggs 3 days ago but I don't see any eyes in his mouth yet.
Sue

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At lights out. Otherwise, they would just be food for the vultures. At night there is at least a chance that a few might make it...

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this light at Petsmart:
thumbnail_20200604_221936_Film2.jpg

I had to dim it down with 2 layers of paper covering the LED but otherwise it's close to perfect.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the eggs @SueAndHerZoo??!
A few days later, he no longer had them in his mouth.... don't know what happened to them. But he's got another mouthful right now. :) Every night when I turn off the tank lights on put on the airpump in the fry catcher and turn on the light shining on it. Hoping to see something in there one of these days, but I have yet to see any "eyes" in the jawfish's mouth when I look closely. When and where do they get fertilized? Could they be young and not producing viable eggs yet? Or is he eating them?
Sue

Brandon38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see pics!!! I love jawfish!!!

No, the eggs disappeared, but today he is holding another mouthful of them. I have the Vossen fry trap but not sure when to turn the battery-operated light on because if I do it before bed, the battery won't last all night.

Do the fry normally get released at dawn? At dusk? Is it predictable? I remember when I was raising clownfish I had the sides of the tank blacked out but I don't remember why.
Sue
So the current round of breeding on my pearly jawfish has worked out to average of 8 days from time we see eggs to hatch. He released them 30 to 45 minutes after the final.light goes out on the tank. They cover the holes then he opens hole up again and starts the process of releasing them. Hopefully we are better prepared to take care of the fry this time as this round has about double what he has had previously. Ball.is about as big as his head.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back