Pecked Zoas

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need some advice here on the Zoa threads. I just ordered a beautiful supply of Zoas for my tank. They are acclimated well and opening, however my fish seem to really enjoy pecking at them. I moved all the frags onto my little frag area of my tank and yet a few of my fish are still pecking at them. I love my fish. I will not get rid of them, but I love my corals too. You see the problem? I'd like to have a glass or plastic cover to place over my little frag area to protect my Zoas while they are still growing. Is this done at all? Does anyone have a recommendation? Is anything sold like this?

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tail angel fish bothers them a few times a day. I have a fox face that pecks at the algae but not the zoa itself. The angel is nipping at them but I can't see any damage, yet. I'm worried that all the disturbance will eventually kill the zoas.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have many other lps/mushrooms/softies in my tank. Leon (My yellow tail angel) never bothered any of those. This is why I made the choice to get zoa's. I'm hoping Leon won't take them all out.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the most important observation is how the zoa's are reacting. In my experience they will tolerate a reasonable number of nips. But if they don't get a break, they'll start spending more and more time closed. I've gone through this process a few times – with a pygmy angel, and now with amphipods running wild in a currently-fallow tank.

Angels are definitely prone to nipping zoa's but they're not all the same. Some are obsessed with it, some won't care about them. I've had both cases in tanks, and it seems to be the same story with others from what I've read. If it were me, I'd keep an eye on things and see if the angel gets bored of it. But if it doesn't, then the zoa's could be in trouble if they wind up just staying closed perpetually. I've been there, and the angel had to go, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the advice. It sounds like they will need a break from the pecking in the long run. I'll see how things progress. THank you.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back