pectoral fins gone

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 3 DD wrasse yesterday (two flashers and a fairy). One of the flashers laid in the bottom of a PVC fitting all day yesterday but did eat some. I also noted that he swam with his nose to the bottom of the glass like a Halichoeres wrasse will do when there is no sand for him to dive in to.

Today I finally got a close enough look to know why. His pectoral fins are virtually gone....maybe 1/4 the length of normal. He's staying on bottom because his normal means of locomotion are almost absent. The fins don't look frayed, they are longer on the edges and shorter in the middle. All of his other fins (dorsal, caudal, pelvic) all appear normal. He had to have been shipped like this, it couldn't have happened in less than 24 hours I don't think.

Should I treat him with antibiotics like a fin rot? Will the fins regrow? I certainly think I can keep him going in the low flow of my QT's but if he doesn't grow them back he would not survive in the DT.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use an antibiotic to prevent infection. The fins should grow back. NFG is a great all around med that tackles a whole bunch of problems.

That was what I was thinking. I've had fin rot before but it always seemed to affect all of the fins even if not equally. Honestly his caudal, dorsal and anal fins are perfect. Really weird.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of pictures of his fins. He's a little more active today and ate pretty well. Tolerating antibiotics well so far. Poor guy looks like a thalidomide baby

P.angulatus1.jpg

P. angulatus2.jpg

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can see a little bit of growth already since starting antibiotics....may just be wishful thinking. He is eating well and swam without resting on the bottom for over 10 minutes last night which is a new high. Pretty tough little fellow. Here's some video of him after feeding last night...he was looking for more.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can see a little bit of growth already since starting antibiotics....may just be wishful thinking. He is eating well and swam without resting on the bottom for over 10 minutes last night which is a new high. Pretty tough little fellow. Here's some video of him after feeding last night...he was looking for more.

Looking good! I hope he is on the mend! Sure seems like he is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back