Pedersen Reef - 300 Gallon Peninsula Build

I am curious about the bacterium you mention. What were the symptoms and how did you diagnose it?
A couple of the large colonies I had for several years started showing STN around the bases. The white line of dead coral slowly progressed until the colony was consumed. After researching and getting help from R2R forums, the issue was diagnosed as white band disease. No lab tests were completed.

I fragged the salvageable corals and removed the dead skeletons.. In my many years of reefing, I had never had an issue like this. It was like watching a train reck in slow motion (there was nothing I could do).

I installed a UV sterilizer which seemed to help.. I also read that crabs can carry the bacterium from one coral to another, so I removed the crabs and the issue went away.
 
Few photos from the current build... Common but beautiful corals.
C77E78A1-D736-4BA8-B55A-E6C77002C7CC.png
507BF302-D65B-4D3C-AEF5-96D8BB7225FD.png

A8EA3C12-D9A7-457D-944B-80FBD6E5DC8C.png

F945B6EC-A30B-489B-86B0-9E3F111249E6.png

Gorgeous reef!
 
What type of lighting do you use?

Tank is amazing!
I have 2 custom black box lights modeled after the Ecotech G5 Pro spectrum. I also have a Kessil A360x in between the 2 black boxes.

image.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new