Pellet Expiration

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large (300g) jar of New Life Spectrum Marine Fish food in the fridge. I've read that pellets "expire" at around 1 year. Does this mean they'll become toxic, or lacking in nutritive value, or what? How can you tell when to toss pellet food?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that pellets "expire" at around 1 year. Does this mean they'll become toxic, or lacking in nutritive value, or what? How can you tell when to toss pellet food?
Typically, expired means the nutrients have degraded substantially or will do so shortly after the expiration (so it'll be lacking in nutritional value). They should still be useable, but I'd personally replace it when you can.

If they've gone bad (i.e. if they've molded or somehow gotten wet in the container or something) then you should toss it immediately.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large (300g) jar of New Life Spectrum Marine Fish food in the fridge. I've read that pellets "expire" at around 1 year. Does this mean they'll become toxic, or lacking in nutritive value, or what? How can you tell when to toss pellet food?
In this case, it's best to reach out to the manufacturer.

Chad

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back