Pellets or Flakes?

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from potential fish preferences, what is your own preference and why?
What brand do you suggest?

I feed 90% pellets to our cichlids, with the remainder being some flakes for fry to snack on. I’ve not had a reef in a few years since moving but used to feed primarily flake but found it to be so messy. I know that with a solid CUC this isn’t as huge of a problem as with freshwater tanks, but I’m considering pellet and frozen for the new tank and wanted some thoughts on the matter.

Finallysalty80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from potential fish preferences, what is your own preference and why?
What brand do you suggest?

I feed 90% pellets to our cichlids, with the remainder being some flakes for fry to snack on. I’ve not had a reef in a few years since moving but used to feed primarily flake but found it to be so messy. I know that with a solid CUC this isn’t as huge of a problem as with freshwater tanks, but I’m considering pellet and frozen for the new tank and wanted some thoughts on the matter.
Everyone has their own preference of course, but personally I like homemade/frozen. I myself tend to overfeed flake and pellet, plus a homemade food or a frozen mix can feed pretty much everything in one shot. I used to use Hikari and Cobalt and liked them, but that was a long time ago before I got brave enough to make my own. I'm sure someone that currently uses primarily flake or pellet can help you with some recommendations.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between pellets and flakes, I'd go with pellets (out of all the foods on the market at the moment, though, frozen would be my preference for fish health):
Pellets (Meaty) - Otohime, then TDO Chromaboost.
Pellets (Algal) - NLS Marine Fish Pellets (has 8 types of algae and one terrestrial plant).
I'd supplement the meaty pellets with some algae (the more kinds of algae the better; nori, Ulva, Halymenia, etc. are all good options to add), and I'd supplement the algal pellets with some high protein and high fat foods (like mysis for the protein and blackworms for the fat).

For the really long-winded explanation why, see my post in the thread below:

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking pellets and frozen would end up being my new “way.” I wish I had the time to make food for them…with 5 kids and work it’s impossible for us to find time for every day life at this stage

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back