Pencil erasers reef safe :-) ??

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to sound strange, but are normal, pink pencil erasers reef safe? It appears they are made of pumice and rubber with some sort of bonding agent.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really begs the question - what’s the intended use case?
Lol I figured that was coming.....looking for methods to remove hair algae from within the small holes and crevices in rock. All the flat services are being cleaned by snails and fish, but most of my remaining algae is in my extremely hole filled rock. I used a small grout cleaner/plastic bristle brush but it doesn't last long. Trying to come up with something I can stick in these holes and rub this algae off so my herbivores can maintain it. I assume it is from detritus collecting in these holes but even daily blowing with a turkey baster is not helping. I wish I could use an electric toothbrush under water...that would be perfect lol.

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how erasers are made (Skip to 1:00)
I don't know if that will be any help, but it seems pretty safe. Besides, I once dropped a pair of scissors into a freshwater tank and couldn't find them for a week, so they should be fine as long as you don't rub off too much eraser.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When used, erasers break down, so unless you want a bunch of rubber particles floating around, I'd find something else.

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I saw pretty much every episode of that show....except the one that could have helped me lol.
Maybe you could use some tweezers? I've never had hair algae because I'm a relative newbie to saltwater, but if you have an hour to yourself you could pluck the hair algae. I also hear shrimp are hair algae cleaners.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When used, erasers break down, so unless you want a bunch of rubber particles floating around, I'd find something else.
I am all ears....I have been trying to come up with something for months with no luck :-( This is what I currently use, and it does work, but lasts only about 2 cleanings.
algaetool.png

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could use some tweezers? I've never had hair algae because I'm a relative newbie to saltwater, but if you have an hour to yourself you could pluck the hair algae. I also hear shrimp are hair algae cleaners.
Tweezers don't allow you to grab it at the base.....not sure why, it seems like they should work but unfortunate they do not. I do have shrimp, urchins, snails, fish, etc....nothing seems to get into these smaller holes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back