Peninsula 6026 build thread

Zombiebrains

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal today was to do a rough mock up of a controller board to use until I can decide on what material I want to make the final one out of. It ended up being a very rough mock up and I abandoned it before mounting anything, oh well. So instead of finishing that I sat the lid from the shipping crate in front of the tank and got to work on the aquascape mock up. Pics below are what I came up with and really liked how it looked. I attempted to use the BRS extra thick glue I had, turns out you need ALOT to hold these rocks together...go figure right? So piece by piece I place the rock into the tank and tried to recreate my masterpiece from the floor. It didn’t come out exactly the same, I blame the base rock that I already had in the tank, oh well live and learn. I have all the rock in there now, I think it looks good and accomplished what I was going for. The fiancé will have final say when she gets back Monday of course lol. Something that’s been bothering me is the skimmer....I went with the Skimz SM202...it was an external, great price on Black Friday, and the BRS rating for it was for 190 gallons with high bio-load, my total system is 186 gallons so I think that’s not too over sized? I plan on keeping a large number of fish along with feeding plenty and sticking to the World Wide Corals motto I picked up from the BRS videos, heavy in/heavy out. So I’m worried about the skimmer being oversized but also the base is less than an inch too large for my compartment, I had to take out my refugium divider, place the skimmer and then put the divider back, meaning the divider is about an inch off the bottom and water now flows under instead of over the top of the divider. I’m thinking if I want to run the fuge I’ll put something down there to either block the water, attempt the move the holders for the divider, or just not run the fuge. Anyway, hopefully some of you can give me your thoughts on this.

F4131F31-893A-4E75-BF8E-8686E3A709CE.jpeg E1EB946D-5E2B-4595-BCA5-2531E39B85D0.jpeg
Hey LT43 how many pounds of rock would you say you ended up actually using in you display?
Also is the picture that you have of the rocks on the cardboard, is that the amount you ultimately ended up using? Thanks

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the hiatus, life has been keeping me busy between work, school, wedding planning, etc. So let’s see, tank continues to cycle, to answer someone’s question I’ve been trying to follow the BRS method I saw in one of their videos, think it was the BRS/WWC hybrid method that mentions a 4 month cycle. Not much other than cycling lately up until today. I got all the RO tubing, John guest fittings, and such to set up the DOS for auto water changes. Tested everything tonight and looks like it’s going to work great, now just have to run the lines to the supply tanks and drain. Only thing that sucks is my large bottle of Microbacter7 cracked in the box, waiting on BRS to get back to me about that tomorrow. The plan is to do a large water change this week and then once all the levels are good start adding fish.

I also picked up the wye and tubing to connect my protein skimmer to my manifold, but the tubing was too large so gotta hit Lowe’s tomorrow maybe, or just use a separate 500gph pump for the skimmer. I’m thinking of adding two clowns, a starry Blenny, and Midas Blenny as the first batch of fish. Should be plenty of room for everyone and with such a long cycle I should be good on top of dosing Mircobacter7 regularly. After them I’m looking to add the following, let me know your thoughts:

Clown Goby

Cirrhilabrus family wrasse (2?3?)

Anthias 3? 5?

Cardinalfish 5?

Royal Gramma
Fox face

Yellow tang
Kole Tang

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey LT43 how many pounds of rock would you say you ended up actually using in you display?
Also is the picture that you have of the rocks on the cardboard, is that the amount you ultimately ended up using? Thanks
I used all of it other than some small rubble. Here is what it ended up looking like in the tank.

B571AD10-9C4E-4E06-A0BA-A1A286F5DDBD.jpeg C275675D-0802-414E-893B-1E29A3D8305A.jpeg 9119C963-1DBB-4DF2-94E4-D7414423D356.jpeg

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the patience of a saint. But really, why are you cycling so long? Just waiting on quarantine?

Otherwise, what is the benefit of the extra month? (Clearly, I did not watch the BRS video :) )
I believe it was just a solid biological foundation.

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok man it has been a minute since I updated. Let’s see, have had the fuge up and running for about a month now with the Kessil H380 and 5 pack macro algae from Algae Barn. I had some super high phosphates and nitrates when I started the fuge due to no water changes and having the 5 chromis in there with daily feedings. Nitrates got up to 15 and phosphate topped out at 0.56. As of today nitrate is 2 and phosphate is a pleasant 0.10. Also added a stunningly beautiful XL maroon clownfish we found at WWC. Still haven’t turned on the XR30 over the tank until I have the fish in, I want the tangs in there just in case any algae pops up. Up next I’m doing a DIY lid from BRS then adding the following:
Assortment of wrasses
5 fire fish
Maybe some cardinal fish
Kole tang
Yellow tang
Maybe one more tang of another family
Still needs a protein skimmer (maybe, maybe the fuge will be all I run)
Need another XR30 or 2 XR15s
Second MP40
WXM module
4x Ecotech Versa pumps you dose triton
Corals of course!

Asimkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My body hurts...
So after getting the stand all unpacked we quickly realized that the two of us would not be lifting this tank! I have never seen such think glass it’s incredible! So after a couple hours, two broken hinges because I suck at adjusting cabinets, and some plenty of screwdriver turns it’s built and the sump is in place. Unfortunately I’ll be at work tomorrow but Wednesday morning I have some friends coming to help me lift this behemoth! That works out because my next @Bulk Reef Supply shipment also gets here Wednesday!

8623E09D-259F-4F20-BC95-F02C627D6B1F.jpeg A19562DC-12F9-4700-A22C-9EB0EF7391FD.jpeg 17DE017F-6F1A-4D4F-B2F0-FFC23BFEAE05.jpeg 8B9B5EC6-5DB5-467D-AB39-A1C004D2E281.jpeg E52DF75F-50F8-40B9-BCEC-74EB820D21C8.jpeg D0828C32-1EB4-4256-9A74-C47F931F31FE.jpeg
Hey, tank and setup looks awesome. I just ordered mine today and can you please tell how much does the tank weigh? Can two guys carry it? I've heard some crazy numbers such as 1000lbs, that can't be correct right? I'm hoping to get a valid and reasonable answer from someone.

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, tank and setup looks awesome. I just ordered mine today and can you please tell how much does the tank weigh? Can two guys carry it? I've heard some crazy numbers such as 1000lbs, that can't be correct right? I'm hoping to get a valid and reasonable answer from someone.
Actual weight I’m not sure, it’s quite heavy though. It took three of us to get it from the garage inside and on the stand.

Asimkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual weight I’m not sure, it’s quite heavy though. It took three of us to get it from the garage inside and on the stand.
Thank you, I appreciate you responding. Hoping to get an answer from Waterbox customer service.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate you responding. Hoping to get an answer from Waterbox customer service.
Our 525xl RS tank is a bit smaller than the one you're considering, and it was 250lbs dry. When 3 of us moved it, it felt every bit of that 250lbs. It was super-duper heavy. A safe bet is that your larger peninsula might be between 250-300lbs. Hope that helps. Congrats on your next tank, plus this nice one that the thread owner has.

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been way too long since I’ve done an update on the peninsula build. Reading my last update and going from there, we are now at 4 chromis with one big one being very much the boss. The refugium has been doing ok, I honestly am not a huge fan of the way the sump is set up as a lot my macroalgae would end up clogging the filter material in the bubble trap just before the return pump chamber. But from that group of 5 macroalgaes I am down to just the chaeto and an assortment of GHA that grows in the fuge. But I think once I clean out the fuge and clean the chaeto it'll get back to what it was. As far as livestock we have added an assortment of snails, we lost our urchin, it randomly lost all its spines and died. We also have a yellow tang, a powder blue tang, and a kole tang. We finally turned on the XR30, before adding the tangs, and had a very large bloom of GHA. But adding the tangs they made quick work of it and keep the rocks looking great. Also set up the apex auto feeder feeding pellets twice a day. In addition, we hang a couple of sheets of algae for the tangs every couple of days as well as feed an assortment of frozen foods 2-3 times a week.

On a whim the other day I moved three frags from my small 20 gallon tank that's been up and down with algae issues. Glad to say the frags are looking happy in their new home, there is an acan frag with about 5 heads, a red/green blasto, and a very small SPS frag that I cannot remember the name of. Looking forward to adding more in the next few months. Also as we add corals I will be looking to add two XR15s, one on either side of the current XR30, should be pretty good on coverage. Also want to add an additional MP40 on the opposite side of the return from the current one and possibly a gyre on the far end higher up to push the kicked-up debris into the return. After that maybe a sump upgrade? I am leaning towards something with a built in filter roller since I am terrible with the socks.

Well anyway thanks for visiting and i'll try to make some more regular updates and post some photos.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back