OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have plumbed in the steriliser since Thursday and it’s sitting next to my tank like a huge black paperweight. It will be probably easier and quicker if I just bought a new lamp and power supply ( $ 180). I have a feeling it’s going to take a long time to get this resolved if I have to depend on their customer service department.

If you can afford it, maybe buy another one (different brand), and insist on pentair taking this one back.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it, maybe buy another one (different brand), and insist on pentair taking this one back.
Nah. I spent 6 hours plumbing the thing on Thursday. Easier if I just buy a replacement ballast and lamp. Either I have a backup if they fail. Should have went with Aqua.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Pentair 50w HO from aquacave. Plumbed it. Connected it but it didn’t turn on. Looks like a faulty ballast. Disappointed as BRS was pushing them.

Not the first time that’s happened with Pentair. Not saying it’s not a good unit, just not all of them work right.
I would stay away from pentair
I’ve been dealing with their customer service for over 3 months now and they have sent me 4 ballasts and a new bulb and every one of them trips a gfci. Neither pentair nor BRS wants to refund me or get the unit fixed to running properly. Terrible customer service from pentair, and only slightly better from BRS

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have plumbed in the steriliser since Thursday and it’s sitting next to my tank like a huge black paperweight. It will be probably easier and quicker if I just bought a new lamp and power supply ( $ 180). I have a feeling it’s going to take a long time to get this resolved if I have to depend on their customer service department.
I’ve been dealing with their customer support for over 3 months now without a solution so you’re probably right

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from pentair
I’ve been dealing with their customer service for over 3 months now and they have sent me 4 ballasts and a new bulb and every one of them trips a gfci. Neither pentair nor BRS wants to refund me or get the unit fixed to running properly. Terrible customer service from pentair, and only slightly better from BRS
Im finding that out quickly. Was there a problem with the ballast or the bulb initially? The thing is I already plumbed the dang thing in!

i bought my unit from Aquacave...they are passing the buck to pentair. I’m stuck in the middle.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im finding that out quickly. Was there a problem with the ballast or the bulb initially? The thing is I already plumbed the dang thing in!

i bought my unit from Aquacave...they are passing the buck to pentair. I’m stuck in the middle.
they have no idea what the problem is.... first they thought it was the ballast but they have mailed me 3 others and they all do the same issue. then they thought it was a bulb, so they sent me a new bulb, same issue...
and like you im stuck with neither pentair or @Bulk Reef Supply wanting to handle it.
Im about to call my CC company and try a file back from consumer protection as a last resort

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have no idea what the problem is.... first they thought it was the ballast but they have mailed me 3 others and they all do the same issue. then they thought it was a bulb, so they sent me a new bulb, same issue...
and like you im stuck with neither pentair or @Bulk Reef Supply wanting to handle it.
Im about to call my CC company and try a file back from consumer protection as a last resort
Yea man . I hear ya. I been looking around the internet and it seems they have a problem with the ballasts. I’m not even sure I got the correct ballast since mine also has a second wire for a flow switch, my model is the 50w HO one BRS was promoting. I looked at the BRS model and the one in the pictures but none of their ballasts have the extra wire for the flow switch .

On a positive note, I originally bought the UV to get rid of what I thought were dinos. After adding live rock and bacteria , the Dino’s are mostly gone. Now I have a huge black paperweight stuck next to my .
12DB892A-874C-428A-A84B-A051405C9ED8.jpeg

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the reason why it doesnt work is that someone packed the wrong power unit. The one I got is meant for swimming pools and should come with a flow switch. Pentair are sending a replacement.

Back