People putting two pairs of clowns in the same tank????

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this November I have the wonderful opportunity to tour an aquaculture facility. The only fish they are ready to sell as of now are clowns and I would like to get something to support them. I have seen people putting pairs of clowns together which I thought was impossible. I have a year old pair who has decided to host one of my pumps and not the hammer coral I set up for them because I'm not comfortable with an nem in my tank. Could I put another pair in? The current pair stay on the opposite side of the coral. I still don't know how to feel about it. Currently I have a 60 gal but I have a 150 I'm waiting to set up. I also have an accumulation box to defuse aggression. Should I get a nem if I do plan on doing another pair?

Chicago-quicksilver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current setup might not be large enough to host 2 pairs of clowns. I was able to have 5 clowns but only one was a pair in a 65-gallon tank but I had 2 very large BTAs, a very large carpet that the pair lived in and a very large leather that provided shelter for all the clowns. Aggression was at a minimum except when the pair laid eggs. I would wait until you get the 150 setup and get some nems or something for each pair to host.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current setup might not be large enough to host 2 pairs of clowns. I was able to have 5 clowns but only one was a pair in a 65-gallon tank but I had 2 very large BTAs, a very large carpet that the pair lived in and a very large leather that provided shelter for all the clowns. Aggression was at a minimum except when the pair laid eggs. I would wait until you get the 150 setup and get some nems or something for each pair to host.
I most likely will wait or not at all but I know someone on the site did it in a 40 breeder

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression was at a minimum except when the pair laid eggs.

i have a pair of clarkii and pink skunk that have been together for two years. It’s a 55 gallon partitioned to 35 gallons for the two pairs. The other side is for another pair. they are hosting their own anemones but co-exist and live within 7” of each other.

There is aggression when one pair is breeding. Actually it’s funny as the non breeding female will come over to fan the eggs from time to time. when nobody is mating, there is the typical chasing. when feeding time comes they swim in the open together.

53B140DE-B7D8-4AD6-87B4-2AC255C707ED.jpeg

Carter's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve heard as long as they have enough room to set their territories they should be fine. Not completly sure thought. Just what I’ve heard.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are the established pair won't tolerate more clownfish. Those that do usually add young juveniles together all at once.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have six with 4 of them being breeding pairs. I have Plenty of room though so very little squabble

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chances are the established pair won't tolerate more clownfish. Those that do usually add young juveniles together all at once.
This is what I was thinking.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine were added together as juveniles. You can see it in my tank journal thread. Actually I originally had them divided but they kept crossing the barrier to be with each other so I just removed the barrier.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back