Am I just crazy?

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to this and bought a bunch of stuff in preparation for my 150 (see build thread)
Anyway one of those purchases was an Apex A3 but I can't get the Hydro's out of my head. It has
some features that I really like.One in particular is the Kracken and the fact that it can be used as
a trickle charger for a bank of batteries. I say this because our new house we have had 2 major
power outages (one for 9 days) It's no big deal right now but when I have livestock I would hate
for something to happen to it. Am I nuts? should I just stick with the Apex?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a power failure a generator or a lot of batteries in storage will be more helpful that either Apex or The Kraken, but get what you want if you want to avoid cracking up. Ask me how I know. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The batteries needed to run a 150 for nine days would cost more than a handful of generators.

My 90g runs a little under 2 amps average, so a bit under 6kWh/day.

I have a little off grid solar setup on an outbuilding that runs Trojan T-105s. Four of those provide maybe 400 useable amp hours @12v, so a little less than 5 kWh. Those were $200 a piece about two years ago, but suppose they cost the same now; add a halfway decent PSW inverter for maybe $300, and a charger for about $150, that's $1250. That would run my 90g for less than 24 hours.

Lithium power stations are nice; we have a couple Jackery units. The 6 kWh Explorer 200 Plus would run my reef for 24 hours; it costs $4,500.

A Honda EU2000 generator costs $1,100, and would provide 2kW until someone stops putting gas into it. We have a EU3000is that's been great for power outages.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back