Peppermint shrimp eating my hammer?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter mcrick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mcrick

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2014
Messages
32
Reaction score
4
Location
oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever seen a peppermint shrimp try devouring a hammer coral? It was a new hammer with a couple heads. I emphasize "was". I tried moving it and the little sucker found it. I finally caught him and banished him to the sump. I've never seen this before. Any thoughts?
 
I have had peppers eat my chalices before. Made me unhappy but he went into my 20 g haven't had once since.
 
If the hammer catches any food the peppermint will try to steal it. Also if the hammer is at all sick/infected they will remove any dead/dying tissue. They can be rough though.

Same thing happened to me once or twice, but my hammer was able to bounce back.

I think after the hammer is well established and healthy it becomes less of an issue.
 
I hate those little guys they steal food pick at corals I never trust them I just let them eat aptasia then catch them the next day
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new