Peppermint shrimp hatched in my nano

  • Thread starter Thread starter imblue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

imblue

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 24, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
4
Location
somewhere
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 20251209_011837_528A3078-B117-48E0-AB71-997BCD3C2588.mov
How should I take care of them? Should I separate them into another tank at some point? I feed a lot of brine shrimp for the momma but I’m worried about cannibalism, there’s atleast dozens if not hundreds some are rather large while alot are small red specks with bright eyes lol
 
Some more experienced people will hopefully chime in but for now I would start adding phytoplankton and if they grow add rotifers. Right now they need very small particle size foods.
 

How should I take care of them? Should I separate them into another tank at some point? I feed a lot of brine shrimp for the momma but I’m worried about cannibalism, there’s atleast dozens if not hundreds some are rather large while alot are small red specks with bright eyes lol
They look like mysis shrimp to me. Newly hatched peppermints look a bit differently (they look weird and more plankton-shaped), they don't actively swim like a normal shrimp, and more float like jellyfish and jump in the water like copepods. In short, baby peppermint shrimp neither look nor behave like regular shrimp. The big ones you have a definitely mysids, the smaller ones I'm not sure but may be mysids too.
 
They look like mysis shrimp to me. Newly hatched peppermints look a bit differently (they look weird and more plankton-looking), they don't actively swim like a normal shrimp, and more float like jellyfish and jump in the water like copepods. In short, baby peppermint shrimp neither look nor behave like regular shrimp. The big ones you have a definitely mysids, the smaller ones I'm not sure but may be mysids too.
1765277624673.jpeg

This is how peppermint larvae look like
 
That is really cool that happened in your tank!
 
They look like mysis shrimp to me. Newly hatched peppermints look a bit differently (they look weird and more plankton-looking), they don't actively swim like a normal shrimp, and more float like jellyfish and jump in the water like copepods. In short, baby peppermint shrimp neither look nor behave like regular shrimp. The big ones you have a definitely mysids, the smaller ones I'm not sure but may be mysids too.
1765277624673.jpeg

This is how peppermint larvae look like
View attachment 20251210_033339_188DCF9F-4D94-4D0A-8DCB-C58375CACEF3.mov

View attachment 20251210_033355_46501726-8AF6-4B0B-8F82-4D5BAB542837.mov


View attachment 20251210_033449_F0089B97-12E3-4465-81F3-2616F9482585.mov
I got as much detail I could, what would you say these are then? I didn’t realize the peppermint shrimp even snuck in this little 20gal for months lol there’s only zoas in here
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new