Peppermint Shrimp Woes

13rodo

Lord of the Reefs
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Messages
863
Reaction score
1,248
Location
Denver
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago there was a polyp missing from my hologram hammer. I suspected it may be the peppermint shrimp and not a polyp bailout because it's been thriving and tank params are great. Sure enough this morning I caught the little devil perched on the skeleton eating the other polyp. I'm hoping I saved enough of the polyp for it to recover but I suspect it's a goner. :(

It sucks because I kind of love the peppermint shrimp's personality. It's like an underwater cat. But if it has the taste for euphyllia, it has to go :-/

IMG_3803.jpeg
IMG_3804.jpeg
 
Feed it more and it will leave your ephyllia and other lps alone in most cases. I throw in a small Clam once or twice a week at night near their home (got 3) and so far it has worked for 3 years with no nipping at my acans or torches or hammers
 
Luckily the polyp survived! I did put the shrimp in my timeout tank, but I'm giving it a feast in there so I think it's happy. Eventually I'll get it back into the tank :-D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new