Peroxide etc

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holding tank where my RO water is stored to allow the co2 to degass before going to the DI, gets a little bacterial film on the walls. Normally I disassemble and wash everything out . Very cumbersome, time consuming and bAck destroying process.

what I would like to do is pour a pint or two or so of 3 % Wal Mart peroxide in there. (Currently the tank holds 45 gallons.) Let it stir for a day or two and then send it through the DI resin and on to the salt mixing tank for salt and a couple more days of stirring etc before use.

Is there a reason why it is a bad idea to do it this way?

thanks in advance

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to remove the bacteria at all?

That said, the hydrogen peroxide is probably fine. The stabilizers in it are the concern, which may include tin:

"Manufacturers of drug store grade hydrogen peroxide do not, as a rule, identify the stabilizers used in their product; however, it is well known that the most common stabilizer of H202 is acetanilide. Other agents known to be used as stabilizers include phenol, tin, Colloidal stannate, organophosphonates, and nitrate. "

OP
OP
Val Shebeko

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so the bio film is ok ? I’m not a obsessive neat-nik but I thought..... it might be bad. But dies not sound as bad as the cure. . And thank you for the promot reply.

OP
OP
Val Shebeko

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok besides stabilizers any other down sides? Kosher grade peroxide comes with no stabilizers according to manufacturered.

1. is the bio film harmful ?

2. Will the peroxide “cook” the resin is such small dosages?

thanks again
Val

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back