Peroxide to Clean Rocks and Kill Velvet

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks....One is a reef tank that has velvet and is currently in a fallow period and the other will be a fowlr tank once it's done cycling. The reef tank has some beautiful live rock with coralline algae on it which I'd like to put in the fowlr tank. I planned to use hydrogen peroxide in a bucket 3% and scrub the rocks with a toothbrush. Then I plan to let them soak longer in the peroxide to kill the velvet (whatever life stage it's in). Should this work to kill the velvet and how long should I let the rocks soak in the peroxide? I know from reading peroxide can kill velvet in a tank. All knowledge is helpful from you guys.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry guys, I forgot I made a similar post earlier! Didn't mean to put the same post up but I don't know how to delete it

FLReefer101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the research and with my own experience now velvet can not survive without a host (fish). Everything I’ve read indicated the parasites can not last more then 30 days in a system with no fish. In copper the parasites have disappeared and have not reproduce. Without copper from my understanding in cooler water lifespan can be 30 days and sometimes 45 days. If you have no fish or coral in the tank raise the temperature above 80 and the parasites lifecycle will speed up and die off.
I’ve not read or seen anything about peroxide riding rocks of the parasite but I’m sure someone on here has test and viewed the little boogers dying a slow painful death.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end I think I'm just gonna have to go fallow due to too many unknown variables...This will actually be my second fallow period in 2 years due to velvet. The first time I think I might have added something. I wish I knew if soaking the rocks in peroxide would definitely eradicate them, but unfortunately I'm not positive.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end I think I'm just gonna have to go fallow due to too many unknown variables...This will actually be my second fallow period in 2 years due to velvet. The first time I think I might have added something. I wish I knew if soaking the rocks in peroxide would definitely eradicate them, but unfortunately I'm not positive.

Rock is porous and I would not expect a peroxide soak to get every nook effectively.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunked in Muriatic Acid might be the best solution for rocks. Haven't done this but based on my research made the most sense should I have to. Personally, I'd rather run a diatom filter for the duration of their life cycle at a higher temperature as it will remove the free swimming stage and eliminates the need to remove items from the tank. Old school trick. UV works too but diatom filters can have larger flows treating a larger volume and actually eradicate the pathogen vs messing with their RNA.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunked in Muriatic Acid might be the best solution for rocks. Haven't done this but based on my research made the most sense should I have to. Personally, I'd rather run a diatom filter for the duration of their life cycle at a higher temperature as it will remove the free swimming stage and eliminates the need to remove items from the tank. Old school trick. UV works too but diatom filters can have larger flows treating a larger volume and actually eradicate the pathogen vs messing with their RNA.
I'd love to run a diatom filter but they're practically impossible to find

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to run a diatom filter but they're practically impossible to find
Checkout the MarineLand Magnum polishing filter. Can load it with diatom. Can run several of them if needed. Basically a power head as an internal canister.
BDEB1090-C69A-4279-B78A-A8F9C24BA61E.jpeg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back