Persistent Cyano on Sand Bed

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently dealing with cyano that has progressively gotten worse, not much has changed with the tank. I am honestly looking for a “miracle in a bottle” if it exists. Tank is 7 months old, my first beginner sps tank

I have seen so many conflicting things about how to get rid of this, I have not successfully been able to stop it or even slow it down at all.

I have a heavy fish load for a 125G sps tank for sure, which probably doesn’t help.

-dosing ca&alk, nopox, acropower (tried stopping), Red Sea trace colors. Never done a water change.

Ca: 420
Alk: 8.3
Mag: 1280
No3: 4-6
Po4: .04-.06
Temp: 80
Sg: 1.026
B2E3E5EC-D2FC-4792-BD39-2B8B573148FF.jpeg 8A1D012D-4223-448A-856B-833FDB4B2FC6.jpeg CC7127E7-DE61-4A45-98D3-633558F33C96.jpeg A5C85DA4-C1B5-49DD-83DE-3A331F5590B9.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Chemiclean and be done with it. Curious as to why you are using NoPox, as I found that NoPox caused Cyano, at least IME. Both times I used it, and the second was knowing what I learned the first time, AND STILL, Cyano was the result. I used Chemiclean to get rid of it both times.

Right now I am letting Cyano take over my tank as I have been dealing, fighting, and winning against Dinos. I will soon use Chemiclean to get rid of the Cyano after it deals with the Dinos.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano loves low flow areas in the tank, and by where it is in the tank, I would say thats your issue.

2 pronged approach is needed.

First, clean the sandbed really well(even a rip clean would help), then put a small powerhead down low to create some flow over your sandbed.

Chemiclean will work, but with the low flow it will only reappear. And I find chemiclean to only be a "bandaid". It will work, but the cyano quickly returns if the underlying problem isn't solved.

I actually have a thread long lost in the archive about the same issue I had in an 80G cube(had cyano on the sandbed for years). Doing the above is the only way I finally got rid of it.

OP
OP
K

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano loves low flow areas in the tank, and by where it is in the tank, I would say thats your issue.

2 pronged approach is needed.

First, clean the sandbed really well(even a rip clean would help), then put a small powerhead down low to create some flow over your sandbed.

Chemiclean will work, but with the low flow it will only reappear. And I find chemiclean to only be a "bandaid". It will work, but the cyano quickly returns if the underlying problem isn't solved.

I actually have a thread long lost in the archive about the same issue I had in an 80G cube(had cyano on the sandbed for years). Doing the above is the only way I finally got rid of it.
Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to hear, looks like I’ll be ordering a few more neros. Chemicals scare me anyways, I would much rather try flow before some antibiotic.

OP
OP
K

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Chemiclean and be done with it. Curious as to why you are using NoPox, as I found that NoPox caused Cyano, at least IME. Both times I used it, and the second was knowing what I learned the first time, AND STILL, Cyano was the result. I used Chemiclean to get rid of it both times.

Right now I am letting Cyano take over my tank as I have been dealing, fighting, and winning against Dinos. I will soon use Chemiclean to get rid of the Cyano after it deals with the Dinos.
I am using nopox due to my high fish load and low coral load. Without, my nitrates would sky rocket. I do not do water changes

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to hear, looks like I’ll be ordering a few more neros. Chemicals scare me anyways, I would much rather try flow before some antibiotic.
Also, try dosing mb7 weekly to outcompete the cyano

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Increase flow.
2. Check your lights. Old bulbs caused cyano to flourish for me.
3. Rather than using chemicals to get rid of it, do a blackout for 3 - 4 days. It won't harm your corals. My light fixture due to reasons stopped working for like a week, in which time I had practically no light on the tank at all. Cyano was gone within a day or 3. A day after my lights came back on, all my corals were opening just fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although ChemiClean may work, it is an alternative and not a solution. First defense is to determine its' cause. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing live phyto would out comepte it also. For a more "holistic" approach.
I do the same and use a Oxydator. Both of these things have gotten rid of my cyano.
Before 2021 04 28.jpg

After 2021 04 28.jpg

OP
OP
K

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow-up. The cyano got extremely bad. Didn’t seem to affect any corals, but was horrible looking. Nothing worked until I added chemiclean two days ago, worked like a charm with no ill side-effects.

Attachments

• 8F82C107-00FD-45D8-A58B-FAD3F0B848FA.jpeg
    8F82C107-00FD-45D8-A58B-FAD3F0B848FA.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 122
  • C5556C7B-0DD0-4A28-B6BA-1E64FEAFE316.jpeg
    C5556C7B-0DD0-4A28-B6BA-1E64FEAFE316.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 120

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back