Persistent Red Slime Algae

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, although i've had my marine tank for a good 2-3 years I'm new to forums and so a newbie here. I'm getting desparate and really need some advice as to what to do next. I've posted the same question to a couple of forums and so far have not found a solution yet.

My tank is approx 2 years old, has been doing very well with a variety of mainly soft corals, a couple of dwarf angels, a tang and a clown fish, shrimps and trochus snails. The tank is 380L (@@80gl) custom tank with a 60L sump tank growing macro algae nicely, as well as a deep sand bed. There're U/V, skimmer and reactors for carbon and Rawphos which I change regularly. 50L RO water change evry 3-4 week. Nitrate and Phosphate readings are consistently low when I check even before water change. There is a healthy amount of green algae growing in the tank, enough for the fish to nibble but not enough to be too noticable. LED lights are on timer (168W Viparspectra, just over a year old), Blue only in early am and eve, full white light during the day, total 13hr a day. Water flow was assisted by 3 powerheads as well as the filter outlet.

So all was well and good, everything and everyone was happy until about 9 months ago. It started off with a few flakes of what looked like red algae. I picked them off, they came back more, I picked them off again and they came back even more. Now the tank is covered in the thing within a week, and each week when I clean it off I lose a few bits of coral.
Everything else in the tank is ok, fish are still happy, no more green algae than usual, corals are suffocated by the red algae but struggle through ok.

I've tried reducing feed, reduce lighting, increase water change and skimming, phosphate is near zero. I've changed position of power heads but the dang thing is covering the whole tank anyway and it takes a good couple of hours a week to slowly pick them off.

I've seen some treatments available on eBay inc ones by Ultralife and Chemiclean. They didn't do a thing other than costing a fortune. Aquamedic one I've tried which started to work, but returned with a vengence before it was all gone. By the way, each treament instruction was followed to the letter, and additional weekly water change for a month before I tried the next treatment.

I have half a dozen trochus snails, couple of shrimps and crabs. Tried other snails but the trochus seems to be the best at munching their way through the algae. They've always been doing a great job at keeping eveything at bay until this red slime appeared.

At the moment, my weekly routine is using a plastic tweezer to peel off as much as possible with the pump and power heads off. Then syphoning to remove any that are either too thin or too small to pick up. The tank looks lovely immediately after but within days the dreaded red algae returns.

Had a look on eBay and searched for red slime algae remover. There are a couple I've not tried. The Easy Life Excital states that it works by promoting the growth of other organisms in order to out compete the red slime algae. Not sure if that's going to work in my case as I've tried similar approach before.

Ther's another one that I've not seen before. Not sure who is the manufacturer but it's called redgone or something along that line. It promises a lot, and it states that it specifically kills only red slime algae. Hard to bewleive but reviews from previous buyers seems to show that it works.

Has anyone heard of it, or knows anyone who's tried it? Any thoughts about using it?

What else can I do? I'm really at a loss. Is there anything else I can try? There are a number of other treatments avilable which promises the earth, but I don't really want to keep pouring chemicals in the system. without knowing if it's going to work. Has anyone tried anything tha works well?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run blue all day (that's what corals use) some white have a spectrum more attuned to cyano. I would try chemiclean.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into hydrogen peroxide treatment.

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run blue all day (that's what corals use) some white have a spectrum more attuned to cyano. I would try chemiclean.
Thanks, I've tried running blue all day for a week or so, slowed it down a bit but eventually came back just as bad. Tried Ultralife and Chemiclean but they didn't do a thing. Aquamedic one I've tried which started to work, but returned with a vengence before it was all gone.

This one sounds promising but I'm a bit nervous trying it, not because it might not work, but worried about adverse effect, although none of the previous user has reported problems:

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into hydrogen peroxide treatment.
Not heard of it before so yes, I'll have to look into it, thanks so much.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say nitrates and phosphates are consistently low, what value would that be? Also, what test kits do you use to measure them?

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the attack Nitrate has always been 10~15 ppm and phosphate was always below 0.05 ppm, and sometimes lower in recent months. (prob because the red slime is using it up?)
I've always been using the API test kit, may not be the most accurate but it at least let me see any sudden changes.

The peroxide looks interesting, may well be my next step but I've just received this redgone treatment, thought I'll give these treatment a last try. It says it doesn't have any erythromycn related chemicals so at least I know it won't wipe out all the bacterias in the tank and crash it. So hopefully worst come to the worse I've wasted a bit of money. (it's not that much compared to the other ones I've tried.)
As per instruction I've made up the solution, did a water change a couple of days ago so won't need to do another one for a while, turned the light down, and poured the solution in. For my tank size I needed to get two vials of the powder and it all went in this morning. So fingers and toes crossed. I shall report back the result, or the lack of it, and problems if any.

Thank you for all your help so far.

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an interim update in case anyone is interested.
The Redgone solution has been in for a couple of days now. Not much has happened, whatever red algae that was there before I put the solution in is still there. Early days I know.
The thing I was worried about the most is the tank crashing. Well that has not happened, yet, touch wood.
I've kept a very close eye of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and pH. So far the nitrate and phosphate has gone up ever so slightly but still within a good range. Everything inc the inverts are still happy, fish feeding, corals opening. Fingers crossed I'll see some action soon.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with azithromycin, when chemiclean has failed. 1 mg/L

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled cyano in one of my tanks for a long time. Finally I started nitrate dosing, and made no other changes. After about 2 months of detectable NO3 (5-10 ppm) my cyano is completely gone.

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with azithromycin, when chemiclean has failed. 1 mg/L

That's similar to erythromycin? Isn't there a risk that it'll wipe out the other bacteria too??

I battled cyano in one of my tanks for a long time. Finally I started nitrate dosing, and made no other changes. After about 2 months of detectable NO3 (5-10 ppm) my cyano is completely gone.

That's another one I hadn't tried. If this Redgone stuff doesn't work then I'll give this a go. Thanks.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a variant of erythromycin, with a broader spectrum of activity. It did not nuke my filtration, the few times I used it. I usually dose a bacterial product while and after I use it to supply beneficial bacteria .

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures including were the powerheads are?

Given the lower reading for phosphates, I recommend getting a more accurate and tester like Hanna's. It has the resolution needed for monitoring levels below 1.0 ppm and isn't a pain to read like the color charts.

I'm also curious how many and what types of snails you have.

Have you considered doing a Triton test? I've heard that higher levels of sulfer can increase cyano growth as well.

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Redgone has worked!!!

Days of nothing happening I was about to give up thinking I've just wasted a small but precious amount of money.

I woke up this morning and it's all gone, as in disappeared, every bit of it!

Half expecting there'll be bits in the filter but even the refuge tank is cleared of any signs of red algae. So strange, there was no sign of the red algae dying until it just all vanished overnight, it's like magic, I just can't believe it! I don't know how it works but it's worked!

I've just checked all levels, pH, ammonia, nitrite/nitrate, phosphate, all ok, just the nitrate is still slightly high. I'll continue to monitor the levels. I'll repoprt back in a week or two, or sooner if the dreaded red algae comes back.

I'm so pleased, after nearly a year battling with the awful thing it's the first time I've seen the tank completely rid of the stuff!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on RedGone treatment working. On a side-note test your RO water for phosphates. When was last time you changed membranes & filter media in your RO system?

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on RedGone treatment working. On a side-note test your RO water for phosphates. When was last time you changed membranes & filter media in your RO system?

Phosphaste is ok, just nitrate a little high but not unusually so. Filtrr media changed around 3-4 weeks ago, so will be changing when the treatment is complete, prob another week or so. I just hope the dreaded thing doesn't return in the nbext week or so!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphaste is ok, just nitrate a little high but not unusually so. Filtrr media changed around 3-4 weeks ago, so will be changing when the treatment is complete, prob another week or so. I just hope the dreaded thing doesn't return in the nbext week or so!

I find when my membranes are exhausted, I start seeing a hint of red algae reminding me to change them.

OP
OP
L

Lindabed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, two weeks since I put the Redgone in, the tank has been clear as anything for the last week, no sign of any cyano returning.
I may just be imagining but I'm sure even with the normal green algae, there seems to be a bit less of it even though feeding and lighting are now back to normal routine.
Another thing I've noticed is that now all the slime has gone, I can see just how much damage it has done to all the corals, I've lost more than I realised. Not sure if it was due to the slime smuthering them, or the process of cleaning the slime off damaged them. The tank looks kind of bare now.
I'll be doing water change shortly and then as soon as it all settles I'll be restocking the corals now that I know it won't be back anytime soon, and also I have a teatment that works as well as a few more options if it did come back, thanks to the suggestions I received here.
Thank you all for helping and contributing to the advice. I'm not much of a forum person but I've found this place to be very helpful and full of useful infomation, so thank you all.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back