Pest free corals

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a wwc rep today who assured me their corals are completely fish pest/coral pest free. Given the reputation of the company, I believe them. Are there any other companies like this? I’m aiming to have a completely pest free tank (minus aiptasia, dang stud sneaked in On a piece of rock)

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few of the main players in the supply chain that take great efforts to keep their tanks pest free, but I assure you they are fighting an on going battle with it just the same. Hats off to them going to all the extra efforts. I think Tidal Gardens and one other whose name escapes me take a lot of effort to keep their tanks pest free. I am sure there are a couple of others.

But I wouldnt put nothing in my tank if it hasnt been QTed Long and Hard!!! Once you get yourself seriously burned and have to kill off a tank, youll be "Born Again Hardcore" like I am about this subject. Like Uncle Ronnie said about the Russians...Trust but Verify! I just got way too much invested in my tank to take a chance.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are peoples experiences with pacific east aqua culture? Specifically the clams

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are peoples experiences with pacific east aqua culture? Specifically the clams
I asked them a while ago about fish disease in their system and they said that the clams are kept in their own separate system.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to QT my cultured clams from them. They are still grown out in the ocean. Mine came with a pyrimid snail infestation. Took over 8 weeks to best them. Lost one of the 3 clams I bought before they were good to go to the display.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many of the top hobbyist sellers go to great efforts to keep tanks pest free, especially the big sps guys on here. I have a strict regimen for new arrivals to insure pests do not get into my system. When people buy from me every plug is coral and plug are checked for 100% health and no pests along with blown off in front a powerhead and plug scrubbed for extra precaution and cleanness.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't offer any info on US based sellers, but can provide the generalization that all vendors can sometimes have something slip through. I have 2 local sellers that I trust, but as I want to have lots of montis in my new DT build, I still plan to have a comprehensive QT system.

Any frag that makes it into my DT, will have first been graduated through (2) Evo 13.5's, then into an RS 250, followed by another RS 250, and finally into my big DT. The RS 250's will be considered 'clean' and act as a backup for the big tank.

A nudi infestation would be devastating.

Dennis

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are into SPS, Battlecorals has very strict inspection and quarantine protocols.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to QT my cultured clams from them. They are still grown out in the ocean. Mine came with a pyrimid snail infestation. Took over 8 weeks to best them. Lost one of the 3 clams I bought before they were good to go to the display.

Aint nothing sacred out there as far as I am concerned! Yep I would QT clams as well. I dont care how much you inspect or how thoroughly you scrub, this is one pest you dont want to get in your system if you keep clams. Pyrmid Snails in your system can be devastating and almost impossible to rid your tank of once you have them. Watch your snails too when adding new snails as they can often times have them as well. This seems to be more common on Turbo Snails than other varieties.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a wwc rep today who assured me their corals are completely fish pest/coral pest free. Given the reputation of the company, I believe them. Are there any other companies like this? I’m aiming to have a completely pest free tank (minus aiptasia, dang stud sneaked in On a piece of rock)
Ya that’s a straight up lie, man.

Ive gotten tons of wwc stuff and they have aiptasia, gha, bristle worms, etc just like any other vendor.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All LFS will “assure” you their stuff is clean

Non will “guarantee” you their stuff is clean.

But YOU can virtually eliminate pest contamination.

It’s your tank.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I’m mainly concerned about fish parasites rather than coral parasites.. maybe that’s why he was so confident, knowing that there aren’t any fish parasites

Back