Pest Identification Help

KluztyFlower

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
21
Location
United States of America
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adding new sand to my aquarium today and this thing scurried out of nowhere. I was able to grab it and get some pictures. I think I know what it is but I’d like second opinions. I think it’s a zoa spider but I’ve never had them before or seen them in person. I’m hoping it’s not. The zoas I have have been doing fantastic so this dude was a surprise. If it is a zoa spider, how to I manage them?

Penny for size reference and a picture of the affected tank just because.

I got some crabs and a lettuce nudi a week ago and added them by hand. So I don’t think it’s from there. A few days ago I got some hair algae from LFS to start growing more of it in the back chambers to help feed the nudibranch. The hair algae came on tiny pebbles, and no I didn’t dip the pebbles I wasn’t thinking about pests at the time. This is the only one I’ve seen and found. Advice would be appreciated before I rip apart my rock work for dipping 😅
IMG_0080.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg
 
Ooooo. That's a Sea Spider, they are parasites of Zoanthids typically.
 
Yeah, it's a sea spider of some sort. Not all of them eat zoas, but I haven't heard of any beneficial ones, so I would get rid of it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new