Pest on Acan Coral ID

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Acan has had this worm-looking thing since I got it and it has just gotten bigger and bigger. It wasn't too big of a problem before, but now I think it is harming the coral. It is constantly spewing out a zooxanthelle looking slime. What is this and how can I remove it? I was guessing a large vermedit snail but I wanted to know if that is right.

IMG_1875.jpeg
IMG_1874.jpeg

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. A large variety of vermetid. I generally recommend breaking them off but given location that doesn’t appear to be ideal. Could carefully superglue it.
Yeah, I have one just like that right under my hammers flesh which was disturbing it, so I got some pliers and broke it off. I also did a light dip in peroxide and iodine. Just for good measure.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I will do. I think I am going to try to break it off the coral with bonecutters, but if I can't, then I will superglue its mouth. Is the iodine necessary? I don't currently have any. Hopefully this works. Thank you!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I will do. I think I am going to try to break it off the coral with bonecutters, but if I can't, then I will superglue its mouth. Is the iodine necessary? I don't currently have any. Hopefully this works. Thank you!
You’ll be fine without a dip.. just cut it off and call it a day

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips don't kill them, make sure that you actually get it, they're a very small creature that can retract deep into its shell
Okay. I am going to cut off the entire shell in a separate container so it cannot come back. I will just go ahead and dip it

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips don't kill them, make sure that you actually get it, they're a very small creature that can retract deep into its shell
Correct! Somebody mentioned chopping it off and using an iodine dip to protect the acan… I’d just cut it off and be done! No dip.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's what I read. I will go ahead and dip it just because it has an aptasia I need to get off.
Dips won’t affect those either.. if possible use your bone cutter to cut away the chunk of skeleton where the aiptasia is attached or it will just come back.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips won’t affect those either.. if possible use your bone cutter to cut away the chunk of skeleton where the aiptasia is attached or it will just come back.
Ahh okay. Did not know that. That must be how I got an invasion of them last year. Don't want that to happen again

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is not necessary. I just did it for extra measure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back