Pest or Benefit?

MNBones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest or Benefit?

I just added sand and filled my tank today. The LFS where I purchased the sand (locally known for excellent coral and service) also sold me an active bio-brick from their system.

I’m on the fence whether to use it or not. When I got home and opened the bucket, I found the following on the brick.

worms1024.jpg

Are these pests or helpful members of the biome?

If they are O.K. Are there any preparation steps I should do? Freshwater rinse, saltwater rinse, throw it the currently empty quarantine tank and keep an eye on it?

Any good thread links that describe the process of using a foreign bio-brick and whether or not it is a good idea?

Thanks ahead of time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pest or Benefit?

I just added sand and filled my tank today. The LFS where I purchased the sand (locally known for excellent coral and service) also sold me an active bio-brick from their system.

I’m on the fence whether to use it or not. When I got home and opened the bucket, I found the following on the brick.

worms1024.jpg

Are these pests or helpful members of the biome?

If they are O.K. Are there any preparation steps I should do? Freshwater rinse, saltwater rinse, throw it the currently empty quarantine tank and keep an eye on it?

Any good thread links that describe the process of using a foreign bio-brick and whether or not it is a good idea?

Thanks ahead of time.
They are tube worms
While harmless, they can colonize

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that the bio brick can be a helpful tool to Jumpstart your system BUT it depends on where you get it from. You could be introducing all of the issues that the host system has into your system. I have done this myself from one of my established tanks to a new one and it worked great. I knew the host system though so no surprises.

OP
OP
M

MNBones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that the bio brick can be a helpful tool to Jumpstart your system BUT it depends on where you get it from. You could be introducing all of the issues that the host system has into your system. I have done this myself from one of my established tanks to a new one and it worked great. I knew the host system though so no surprises.
I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to introduce this into my new tank :-(

Aptasia-little.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like an anemone of some sort, probably aiptasia. No big deal- drop a little liquid superglue on it to suffocate it.

Tubeworms are harmless, but they do set up shop in dark areas. If there are live ones in those tubes, you'll get more pretty shortly.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to introduce this into my new tank :-(

Aptasia-little.jpg
That would not be my first choice, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Some people like them for food.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back