pest xenia?

camineet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I picked up this blue candy cane coral from a local shop that had a huge amount of some kind of xenia growing in the tank.

F248E564-050E-4CAD-872A-1261CC574C2B.jpg

I didn't notice it at the time, but now that I have the coral at home, I can see these xenias are on the base of this blue candy cane coral. I didn't realize a type of coral can grow on another coral.

The shop said it's some kind of xenia, not aiptasia. I've seen enough aiptasia to know it's something else. Some kind of xenia, as the LFS said.

At any rate, I don't want my tank to have huge patches of this stuff like the LFS tank did. And I'm thinking of getting rid of this coral altogether.

What do you guys think?

OP
OP
camineet

camineet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pulsing whatsoever. Any suggestions on how to get them off? I can't think of a way that wouldn't just result in them growing back.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pulsing whatsoever. Any suggestions on how to get them off? I can't think of a way that wouldn't just result in them growing back.
Scrape off out of the tank, rinse in a bowl of old tank water, then put some super glue over where they were.

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a razor blade for anything like this then super glue/epoxy over it. Xenia is a headache because even when you isolate it, it drops pieces that will spread through the tank. Good call removing.

Back