Petco

tacoshell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been going to my local pet store for about five years and I've notice that petco doesn't give a crap about there saltwater fish what so ever, I've been to five petco around other places and all are the same. They have sick fish that they sell with ick and other diseases? I've reported them numerous times but not getting anywhere, does anyone else see this abuse??

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Petco in San Diego was pretty good. They had a frag tank with good size frags at good prices and quarantine tanks marked "not for sale in quarantine" They had a 90g display tank that look liked it was maintained regularly. The guy who owns one of my LFS used to work at a petco and and knew what he was doing so i guess it depends on who they have running the departmen.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it too they have so little amounts of tanks at petco in Rockford and not high enough lighting to support corals there fish are all almost have something wrong with them it's horrific

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with petco is that the employees they hire more then likely have never even owned a fish tank. I was a manager for a petco so I'm well informed of their policies. The "testing" you are required to do to work there is very embarrassing to say the least. I have confronted many higher ups about this and got no where. Petco is a very large Corporation and it is hard to make them change anything. I'm sorry that you have gone through this with them. Now With the fish being sick. They have very strict policies against treating any tank Without approval from a district manager and or Regional. So the employees cannot do anything, even if they wanted to. Not only that but after the week or however long it takes to get an answer they can only treat with what is approved by petco ( which is a very small list) I completely understand your frustrations as I was actually written up one time for quote " caring to much". I would find a new place to shop or shop online. That would be my advice.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was in my local PetCo saltwater section, there was a dead clown stuck against the intake, size of a quater, partially decomposed. The shrimp in the same tank looked happy and well fed though.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I see dead fish in the tanks all of the time and it gets really annoying knowing they see that and don't do anything about it

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I will jump in anyway. I look at it this way. When I buy from Petco I am actually SAVING fish. Feels great. They go immediately into quarantine for treatment. I even sometimes get a discount. Last fish I bought had obvious black ich. When I pointed this out to the employee they took 10% off. Win/win/win. Me/Petco/fish.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I will jump in anyway. I look at it this way. When I buy from Petco I am actually SAVING fish. Feels great. They go immediately into quarantine for treatment. I even sometimes get a discount. Last fish I bought had obvious black ich. When I pointed this out to the employee they took 10% off. Win/win/win. Me/Petco/fish.
I applaud you for saving fish but it also just keeps the chain of bad practices going with this corporation. In our area 3 stores now have gotten rid of all saltwater fish and only sell freshwater. Asked an employee why they stopped selling saltwater and his response was they didn't move enough live stock. We've saved a few in the past years ourselves.

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or.......maybe if folks bought more fish, gave them constructive feedback with maybe a little dose of shaming mixed in things would improve. How good deeds breed more can surprise.

On the other hand

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get what your saying but after my wife working at that place for years, they could care less about feedback. I don't think your wrong and I understand what your saying:D

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure much can be done other than to stop selling the fish. I get my dog groomed there and of course I check out the salty section. It has improved but the fish still look iffy. The staff are working for minimum wage, are not Aquarist and are there for a paycheck.
Over 5 years ago I asked and a employee told me that the chain has ONE guy that travels to all the stores and maintains the systems.
You would think that with Drs Fosters & Smith/ L.A. in the family Pet Co would at least train and get their employees to maintain and learn about all the animals they sell.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get what your saying but after my wife working at that place for years, they could care less about feedback. I don't think your wrong and I understand what your saying:D
OOPS I did not know;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back