OP
Petvit61

Petvit61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New chaeto reactor. Still have to clean it up a bit but it's up and running!

ef8d16ab40af642cc36ceb37fc3971df.jpg

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man your killing me!!!
Im gathering things together for my up grade from a 40 to a 90 and i have wanted a blue spotted jaw forever. I have heard there very hard to keep. How long have you had yours and do you find him as easy to keep healthy as any of your other fish?

OP
OP
Petvit61

Petvit61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man your killing me!!!
Im gathering things together for my up grade from a 40 to a 90 and i have wanted a blue spotted jaw forever. I have heard there very hard to keep. How long have you had yours and do you find him as easy to keep healthy as any of your other fish?

Hey, thanks! So far so good. I've had him for 2 months now. He's been healthy since day 1, eating well. I feed a variety of foods, which he accepted from day one: frozen brine, mysis, krill, nori (lol my tangs won't eat it yet but he does...). He is just now starting to accept New Life spectrum pellets. He moved around a bit in the beginning, but once he found a comfortable spot he's pretty much stayed put. Part of facilitating that was being able to provide him lots of little pieces of rubble and shells for him to incorporate into his home. Once he had enough, he hasn't felt the need to make new burrows throughout the tank. Also something very interesting- every night at about 730 he goes for a few laps around the tank to explore. Then he goes back to hanging out from his burrow. Super interesting fish to watch. If you plan on keeping one, be prepared with a good sand bed, lots of rubble, different food options, and some patience for them to settle in. Also consider lowering the temp in your tank if you run a bit warm...I've heard that improves lifespan of these species.

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya thats one thing im not sure of. I have a mixed reef now and will move it all to the 90 when im done but look to invest more in sps as i go forward. I keep my tank at 79 now and not sure how much i can decrease that to make one fish happy..lol

OP
OP
Petvit61

Petvit61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya thats one thing im not sure of. I have a mixed reef now and will move it all to the 90 when im done but look to invest more in sps as i go forward. I keep my tank at 79 now and not sure how much i can decrease that to make one fish happy..lol
I'm at 76-77 and having very good sps growth! Stability is key. It can work!

OP
OP
Petvit61

Petvit61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions from the frag swap! Pardon poor quality pic. Close ups to come!

OP
OP
Petvit61

Petvit61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make anything out and have comments on placement- definitely open to hearing thoughts

OP
OP
Petvit61

Petvit61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afe9f4eeffb265cf539c88ebeb4923b9.jpg

Had to start hand feeding mandarin. Looking a little skinny and is being out- competed at feeding times. Hopefully will be able to regularly accept pellets soon!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great Peter!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back