PH a bit low while cycling 7.8

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started cycling my tank around a week ago, it’s a Red Reefer 170. Yesterday I added Fritz’s 9 nitrifying bacteria to speed up the process. My PH meter arrived in the mail today and I checked it to see where it’s at and it’s 7.8. I won’t be adding fish for a bit yet but was wondering if this PH is ok? And also, what would be the reason it’s a bit on the lower side and any suggestions to bring it up a bit?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above. 7.8 is good. I know 8.3 is “ideal” but more then reaching 8.3 is stability. I would not chase numbers as this is likely to be frustrating and potentially cause you to do things you normally wouldn’t do lol. (Trust me- been there lol)

If you have a skimmer, and the ability to run a air line outside that may help increase PH.

I was steady at 7.8 for a long time. Couldn’t get it up. Added air line to suck in “clean” air (less Co2 from outside air) the ph rose to 8.1 and is pretty steady there.

But the co2 in the air in your house will affect PH. Just food for thought- but 7.8 is not bad.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a normal Ph though on the lower end. However, I would suggest not chasing that Ph number. Here are a few things to help with Ph for consideration:

- Have the skimmer air inlet draw outside fresh air.
- Use sodium carbonate (aka Soda Ash) instead of Sodium Bicarbonate (aka baking soda) when dosing to maintain Alkalinity.
- Dosing kalkwasser helps raise Ph indirectly and can be dosed in one of the following methods:
- Kalk alone (No 2 Part)
- Kalk in combination with 2 part

Bottom line right now for me would be to not worry about Ph at the moment this early in the game. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the replies guys. Ok I’ll hold off a bit yet and once I buy my skimmer in a few weeks it sounds like it should bring it up a bit.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is only 7.9 now. During the summer I can peak at 8.3 briefly but now that the windows are closed I peak 8 maybe 8.1 if I open the windows briefly. In the morning I'm at 7.8 and I have even seen 7.7 This is the first year I've been actually monitoring PH despite having reef tanks almost 15 years.

I could either start drilling holes in the house or accept I have slightly low PH but a very nice reef tank.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok good to know, if you’ve been doing it for 15 years I trust your judgment. Is it the lower ph is more harmful to corals anyway? Or is it also harmful to fish?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 will have no effect at all on your fish. 7.8 will also not be harmful in any way to your corals, but they will grow slightly slower since at the lower ph they will use less alkalinity. I'm sure someone will explain it to you better but basically you have nothing to worry about. Given the tank is brand new you may be able to bring it up slightly without doing anything other then what you have to. IE dosing 2 part. You probably won't get to 8.3 but maybe 8 once you have everything up and running.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 will have no effect at all on your fish. 7.8 will also not be harmful in any way to your corals, but they will grow slightly slower since at the lower ph they will use less alkalinity. I'm sure someone will explain it to you better but basically you have nothing to worry about. Given the tank is brand new you may be able to bring it up slightly without doing anything other then what you have to. IE dosing 2 part. You probably won't get to 8.3 but maybe 8 once you have everything up and running.
Thanks so much, this is good to know and I’ll wait a bit to see how things go. There’s such a steep learning curve with this hobby, it’s fun though, I like the challenge!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back