PH and alk in the toilet

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a used Apex and just connected the pH probe yesterday, I have not calibrated it yet since I don’t have solution but the numbers were very low. PH has basically been around seven up to 7.2 at its peak. I tested today with test kits and got similar results. I hate how subjective reading the tests are with colors, but I believe the pH is below 7.6. The alk is 4.5.

I do not have much coral at all in the tank, just a handful of zoas and a Monti. I have also been battling a GHA problem for months.

I am going to order calibration solution for the probe and test kits, as I just realized that these tests are expired and out of date, but since the numbers pretty much match each other, I think they are probably good results.

What is going on, and what can I do for a correction? I just added another powerhead to agitate the surface.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph result

Attachments

• 41CE568F-3BE4-49BD-8A49-D5653477E148.jpeg
    41CE568F-3BE4-49BD-8A49-D5653477E148.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 23

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wouldn't chase numbers, especially from test results you don't have comfort in. Do you have a LFS nearby? Whenever I get a funky number I'll head up to my LFS and ask them to do a test, just don't tell them your result so you don't influence their results. How is your coral doing?

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a sec I thought you were checking your toilet water. I was like the heck? That's weird...maybe he's trying to make some toilet aquarium in a transparent toilet, let's click and see. Lol
It’s my new pico experiment!

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a sec I thought you were checking your toilet water. I was like the heck? That's weird...maybe he's trying to make some toilet aquarium in a transparent toilet, let's click and see. Lol
I have thought of putting a pH probe in the toilet tank to monitor when we need to refill the house deacidifier, so I thought someone else was doing that & clicked on this thread.

Our raw well water has a pH of 5.5, so we need to dose our incoming water line with a soda ash solution. since a probe needs to stay wet, a toilet tank seems like a good place to install.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back