PH and Warmer Inside and Outside Temperatures

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where to post this one, but thought putting in the Reef Chemistry forum would be best.
I have been noticing since the weather here has been getting a little warmer outside and temps rise inside. Has anyone noticed their PH rising with warmer temps inside? My PH normally runs around 8.2 – 8.3, but has been between 8.5 and 8.6 when the house warms up during the day. This is not something I have noticed in the past when it starts getting warmer outside. It starts to drop around 8:30 at night and has bottomed out around 6AM to 8.33 and starts to rise around 7:30AM back up to 8.5 – 8.6. Just a side note, I did remove some sand over time to go to a very shallow sand bed Occasionally, we open a door or window in the other room where the tank is not located. Would this make a difference? Should I just let it be or should this be of concern with the PH between 8.5 – 8.6 during the day?

ATB USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opening a door or window can make the ph go up. Is your sump light on a alternating cycle to your tank light?

OP
OP
tkd

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ATB for your response. I probably should have mentioned in my post that we have had a door open on the other side of the house. I know having fresh air coming in would raise the PH, but I did not think that it would impact the PH that much from across the house, if that is the case.. I have not had my sump light on at night alternating with my display lights and the lowest the PH has got down to is 8.0 from my average 8.2-8.3. Also, running my sump light had created a major algae issue in my sump. So now i don't have my sump light on. I think experimenting over the next several days is to see how the PH goes and not have any windows or doors open on the other side of the house or at all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresher air will generally raise the pH compared to indoor, high CO2 air , but my expectation is that your pH is not entirely correct. Simply aeration of seawater with an alk of 7 dKH will give pH around 8.2, not higher. If it is higher, more aeration will lower it.

I'd try recalibrating before looking too deep. :)

OP
OP
tkd

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point Randy Holmes-Farley. Thank you. I will look into recalibrating and take another look.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back