Status
Not open for further replies.

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn't be any residue or slime left over from "buffer". I wouldnt worry about it. Can you getba picture?

Also dosing "buffer" is a bad choice for increasing ph. By adding buffer your increasing your alk (dkh). Which is already 8.8, and i wouldnt be adding more.

To raise ph open windows and doors to let in fresh air. Its because of excess co2 in the house, not alk or buffer.

Also you can use baking soda instead of buffer, cost 2$.
I used this product on my pico reef which os a TOM DECO 3 AQUARIUM. I used the tiniest bit to test it and it caused a rock solid white scale making the entire tank opaque, I can't use a razor because the tanknis plastic. A toothbrush doesn't make a dent in it amd even if it did...I can't reach all areas of what was once a beautiful coral garden. I know now I should have just left things alone but I was encouraged to use this product to keep my tiny tank in balance! Now it's like trying to look through a chalkboard. If anyone has advice on how to remove the....for lack of a better word..scale. I would be beyond grateful. They do not manufacture these tanks anymore and there is nothing like it (TOM DECO 3) . My corals of everytype including rock anenomes are still happy BUT I CAN'T SEE THEM!!!!!. any help from anyone? [email address removed by moderator] thanks again.

20231016_164711.jpg 20231016_164808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this product on my pico reef which os a TOM DECO 3 AQUARIUM. I used the tiniest bit to test it and it caused a rock solid white scale making the entire tank opaque, I can't use a razor because the tanknis plastic. A toothbrush doesn't make a dent in it amd even if it did...I can't reach all areas of what was once a beautiful coral garden. I know now I should have just left things alone but I was encouraged to use this product to keep my tiny tank in balance! Now it's like trying to look through a chalkboard. If anyone has advice on how to remove the....for lack of a better word..scale. I would be beyond grateful. They do not manufacture these tanks anymore and there is nothing like it (TOM DECO 3) . My corals of everytype including rock anenomes are still happy BUT I CAN'T SEE THEM!!!!!. any help from anyone? PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected] thanks again.

20231016_164711.jpg 20231016_164808.jpg

The deposit is calcium carbonate. It can be dissolved easily by acid, but that cannot be done with the tank having creatures in it.

A razor blade might have to be used.

How much of the buffer did you add?
Do you know what your tank alkalinity was before adding it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back