pH drop and ORP spike overnight

  • Thread starter Thread starter rzimm33
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rzimm33

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2023
Messages
420
Reaction score
783
Location
united states
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey,

Last night my system pH dropped to 7.47 which is very atypical. Inversely the ORP spiked to 245 which is also unusual. I know as pH goes down ORP goes up, so the relationship there makes sense.

I am just baffled as to what lead to this sudden drop in pH.

Most nights the lowest my pH goes is around 7.9. While the highest my ORP ever goes is around 230.


IMG_3461.png
IMG_3462.png


My system has maintained stability and not experience a swing in pH like this in over a year.

All other perimeters are as follows:

Alk 9
Ca 470
Mg 1345
Salinity 1.024
Temp 78
Phosphate 0.07
Nitrate 0.0 (even with adding and heavy feeding)

The only abnormal thing that occurred last night is we used a new cat litter which is located about 10 ft from the tank in a closet.

My skimmer utilizes outside air.

I’m wondering if anyone has a possible suggestion or explanation what could have possibly lead to this large drop in pH.
 
if it had only been the pH to show an abnormal reading, I would have thought faulty reading from probe. But since the ORP also showed a sudden change, it seems less likely to be a probe issue.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new