pH drop from vinegar overdose

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just overdosed vinegar and my ph dropped from 8.3 to 7.8. Is baking soda the right way to adjust, or is that going to spike my ALK as well?

Thanks in advance!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just overdosed vinegar and my ph dropped from 8.3 to 7.8. Is baking soda the right way to adjust, or is that going to spike my ALK as well?

Thanks in advance!

I will cause your alkalinity to come up only temporary. Once the carbon source (vinegar) is consumed by bacteria, the pH will come up.

I wouldn't add straight sodium bicarbonate to a tank. Only in solution and very slowly.

A water change will help.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue just over the weekend. Not from vinegar dosing directly, but I vinegar bath my skimmer. I did not give it a good rinse. Essentially took whatever residual was in the pump straight into the tank. So I guess you can say I dosed it.. prob a good amount. It dropped my 8.3-8.4 down to 7.9. That was almost a week ago and my pH hasn't really budged much into the 8.0 range. I guess time and patience here since I don't see a quick fix either without raising the alk as stated in this thread.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back