Ph drop unexplained

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

a little background…

nitrate = 1ppm -> increasing neonitro nitrate dosing to reach 3ppm.
Phosphate = .1
Alk = 8.46
Cal = 444
Mag = 1394
S.G. = 1.026
Temp = 77

I have a 150 gal sps dominant system. A week ago I dosed interceptor spectrum to treat for red bugs. Since then I have seen zero red bugs and to my surprise it appears my emerald crabs, snails, pods all were unaffected. I haven’t seen much for bristle worms so I am wondering maybe if I killed them all and that is why my ph is so low… after treatment I did a 30 gallon water change and added a carbon sock. A week later I did another 30 gallon water change and swapped out the carbon sock.

Fast forward to this morning my ph dropped to 7.85 and that is highly abnormal. I dose almost 2 gallons of saturated kalk every night and that hasn’t been affecting my ph like it normally does. I just recalibrated my probe to make sure it’s a real drop in ph and it is giving me the same reading. Probe was kinda dirty so I cleaned it also with RO.

also last week I had a failed float switch and have been running a dehumidifier for several days… maybe this could be the reason for the ph drop?

My corals look fine but I’m leaving town next week and would love my ph to be back up to 8.3 where I like it. Any suggestions? Or anything I can do as a quick fix to increase ph? Like add an airstone, etc?

thanks in advance!

nick

Last edited:

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried adding aeration? A buildup of carbon dioxide could cause a pH drop. Any chance your climate is warm enough to open a window?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the same amount of kalkwasser went in as usual (I used pH as a surrogate for whether my kalkwasser had run out), and you did not have extra people or gas stove use, then double checking the pH meter calibration seems a good plan.

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the same amount of kalkwasser went in as usual (I used pH as a surrogate for whether my kalkwasser had run out), and you did not have extra people or gas stove use, then double checking the pH meter calibration seems a good plan.
No people over (just my dog and myself). I have an electric stove. Running the air pump I’m noticing an uptick in ph. Would love to get back up to the 8.3 range tho.
Do you think the dehumidifier would have any affect on ph?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No people over (just my dog and myself). I have an electric stove. Running the air pump I’m noticing an uptick in ph. Would love to get back up to the 8.3 range tho.
Do you think the dehumidifier would have any affect on ph?

No, a standard dehumidifier has no impact on pH.

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, a standard dehumidifier has no impact on pH.
After my dog and I were gone all day with nobody in the house, my ph got to 8.04. Very perplexed as to what is causing this. I am starting to think my kalk must not be saturated enough? But if this was the case I would see ALK and Calcium drop as well. I don’t think any mass die off has happened from dosing interceptor last week because my nitrate and phosphate are both in check and I see lots of pods running around. I live in St. Louis and it’s cold so no air conditioning running. Calibrated the probe. I am getting concerned. Any ideas?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the air feed to the skimmer outside, or measure the co2 level in the house to verify your low ph cause.

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the air feed to the skimmer outside, or measure the co2 level in the house to verify your low ph cause.
I can’t run it outside. I’m in a condo and the building is brick. I cracked my door this morning and it didn’t seem to raise the ph at all..

I just added 50 grams of kalk powder to about 10 gallons of saturated kalk

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then measure your co2 levels.
When you and the dog were gone, ph went up, right?
Big dog?

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then measure your co2 levels.
When you and the dog were gone, ph went up, right?
Big dog?
I don’t have a way to measure that but just bought a meter on Amazon.. my dog is a 49 lb lab… she’s been here for years so that wouldn’t be the issue I don’t think.
I have tons of water movement and my lights are blasting the tank. 3 radions on a 4 foot 90 gallon display tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my dog and I were gone all day with nobody in the house, my ph got to 8.04. Very perplexed as to what is causing this. I am starting to think my kalk must not be saturated enough? But if this was the case I would see ALK and Calcium drop as well. I don’t think any mass die off has happened from dosing interceptor last week because my nitrate and phosphate are both in check and I see lots of pods running around. I live in St. Louis and it’s cold so no air conditioning running. Calibrated the probe. I am getting concerned. Any ideas?

pH may drop first, followed by alk, followed by calcium, when not dosing enough.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back