PH dropping to 7.8

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to raise my pH because I believe it is supposed to be 8.3. I am not looking to add anything delicate to my tank in the near future, but I would like to add some small additional soft corals down the road. I will try to add some cheato to my DT. Please let me know if you have anymore information that can help me. I appreciate your input Jeremy.

No problem!! Starting with chaeto is a great idea. I'm not entirely convinced that you will see a huge difference in the tank if you reach that "perfect 8.3". Ideal water parameters are a great target to shoot for, but don't beat yourself up if three months from now your pH isn't right on. I personally would be more focused on maintaining a stable salinity, alk level, ca level, and mag level. If you keep those parameters in line there is a good chance your pH will fall right in line as well. The winter is a particularly detrimental time for tank pH levels because the windows and doors are shut with little air exchange throughout the house. I suspect in the summer if you keep your windows open every now and then your indoor co2 issues won't be as prevalent. During the winter, growing the macroalgae will certainly help. There are many other benfits to growing chaeto as well so it's a win win situtation for you.

Please let me know if you have anymore information that can help me.

More information you ask!! Of course I've got more information!!
This link has dozens of spectacular articles on just about every aspect of reefing you could think of.
Reef Chemistry Articles - Reef Central Online Community Archives
I've read them all at least once and read most of them three or four times. If you get bored with those I've got dozens of other links to literature, studies, and other infomational articles on reefkeeping. Taking some time to learn a little about reef chemistry (and other aspects of reefing) can make a world of difference in a persons ability to maintain a healthy reef tank.

Good luck Denise and keep the questions coming as they arise!

Jeremy

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back