pH error while running

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my pH probe today and am having a problem. While it's running it randomly gives an error:

ph subsystem: Failed read probe:Sump pHError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "7.647\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax

It then ceases to work. I can reboot the pi and it will sometimes start to work, but other times it won't. How can I figure out what's causing this and fix it?

Also, under the pH there is an entry called "Chart Unit". I've left this blank and it didn't complain, but I have no clue what that would be. I tried putting things in it and couldn't tell that it did anything at all.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my pH probe today and am having a problem. While it's running it randomly gives an error:

ph subsystem: Failed read probe:Sump pHError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "7.647\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax

It then ceases to work. I can reboot the pi and it will sometimes start to work, but other times it won't. How can I figure out what's causing this and fix it?

Also, under the pH there is an entry called "Chart Unit". I've left this blank and it didn't complain, but I have no clue what that would be. I tried putting things in it and couldn't tell that it did anything at all.
That error is a setting not quite right. This should sort it out.

Open the Pi SSH terminal and run the following command.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

This will open the file for editing. I think you'll see the line below.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on,dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

Change that line to these two lines, the comma needs removed. If you don't have the line above make sure you have the following two lines.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

Then press CTRL + S on keyboard to save and CTRL + Z to exit.

Then power cycle the controller and the error should be gone.

I think the chart unit is a symbol for whatever parameter you're viewing like a degree symbol.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That error is a setting not quite right. This should sort it out.

Open the Pi SSH terminal and run the following command.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

This will open the file for editing. I think you'll see the line below.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on,dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

Change that line to these two lines, the comma needs removed. If you don't have the line above make sure you have the following two lines.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

Then press CTRL + S on keyboard to save and CTRL + Z to exit.

Then power cycle the controller and the error should be gone.

I think the chart unit is a symbol for whatever parameter you're viewing like a degree symbol.

The baudrate setting was completely missing so I added that back in. It sounds more like a C style null terminated string being sent to an api that needs a non-c style string, but I'll wait and see what I get. Thanks :)

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baudrate setting was completely missing so I added that back in. It sounds more like a C style null terminated string being sent to an api that needs a non-c style string, but I'll wait and see what I get. Thanks :)
Great, that should do it. The Pi doesn't support I2C clock stretching so slowing the bus down is a way to achieve it, without it when the data comes in the end character isn't recognized so reef-pi errors out as the data isn't as expected.

Back